Chemistry Ques. re: structure of organic compounds

In summary, the conversation discusses the comparison between natural vitamin C extracts from rose hips and synthetic tablets of vitamin C. The person needs to answer this question and is seeking additional sources for information. They suggest searching on Google or scholar.google.com.
nurse2b
Okay, using the structure of organic compounds. Are supposed "natural" vitamin C extracts from rose hips better than synthetic tablets of vitamin C? I have to answer this and if another source is used document it. So If you have the answer can you tell me where you found it? Thanks in advance! :smile:

Physics news on Phys.org
Where have you looked so far for information? Have you tried searching on Google? If you were unsuccessful there, try scholar.google.com

Searching for: "vitamin C" synthetic natural, I found a couple excellent sources in the first dozen or so hits; at least 1 of which was in a journal dedicated to nursing.

I cannot provide a definitive answer without conducting my own research and experiments. However, I can offer some insight into the structure of organic compounds and how it may relate to the effectiveness of natural vs. synthetic vitamin C.

Organic compounds are characterized by the presence of carbon atoms bonded to hydrogen atoms, and often contain other elements such as oxygen, nitrogen, and sulfur. These compounds can be found in living organisms, and are essential for life processes.

Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is an organic compound that plays a crucial role in our immune system, collagen production, and overall health. It is commonly found in fruits and vegetables, such as rose hips, as well as in synthetic forms such as tablets.

The structure of vitamin C is the same whether it is extracted from a natural source or synthesized in a laboratory. However, there may be slight differences in the purity and concentration of the vitamin depending on the source.

Some studies have suggested that natural vitamin C extracts may contain additional beneficial compounds, such as flavonoids, that can enhance the absorption and utilization of vitamin C in the body. However, other studies have found no significant difference in the effectiveness of natural vs. synthetic vitamin C.

Ultimately, the best way to determine the effectiveness of natural vs. synthetic vitamin C would be to conduct controlled experiments and compare the results. It is also important to consider individual factors, such as absorption rates and personal health conditions, when choosing the best source of vitamin C for one's own needs.

If you need additional sources for your answer, I recommend consulting scientific journals and reputable websites such as the National Institutes of Health or the Linus Pauling Institute.

Related to Chemistry Ques. re: structure of organic compounds

1. What is the difference between a structural formula and a molecular formula?

A structural formula shows the arrangement of atoms and bonds in a molecule, while a molecular formula only shows the types and numbers of atoms present in a molecule.

2. How do you determine the structure of an organic compound?

The structure of an organic compound can be determined through various techniques such as spectroscopy, chromatography, and X-ray crystallography. These methods allow us to analyze the physical and chemical properties of the compound to determine its structure.

3. What is the significance of isomers in organic compounds?

Isomers are molecules with the same molecular formula but different structural arrangements. They are important because they have different physical and chemical properties, which can greatly affect their behavior in various environments.

4. How do functional groups play a role in the structure of organic compounds?

Functional groups are specific groups of atoms that determine the chemical reactivity and properties of organic compounds. They can greatly influence the structure and behavior of a molecule, and their presence can indicate the type of reactions a compound may undergo.

5. Can the structure of an organic compound be changed through chemical reactions?

Yes, the structure of an organic compound can be altered through various chemical reactions such as substitution, addition, elimination, and rearrangement. These reactions can result in the formation of new compounds with different structures and properties.