What Are the Key Differences Between Ionic and Covalent Bonds?

• Thread starter megamu002
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chemistry
In summary, an ionic bond is a bond between two charged atoms, while a covalent bond is when two or more atoms share electrons to fill their valence shells.
megamu002
I NEED SOME HELP WITH MY CHEMISTRY!

What are the differences between an ionic bond and a covalent bond?

A compound is when two or more _____ chemically bond together.

atoms

neutrons

mixtures

Question

Which is an example of a compound whose individual elements are very dangerious, but when combined make a useful compound?

Table Salt

Sodium Metal

Chlorine Gas

Question 4

Which is an example of an element that when in it's elemental form, are very dangerious, but when combined with another element, makes a useful compound?

Sodium metal

Iron metal

Table Salt

Question 5

Which of the following is the correct formula for the element when in its natural state?

H

H2

Mg2

Question 6
Lewis proposed that:

Elements are most stable when they contained eight electrons in their valence shell.

Chemical bonds are formed because of electron interaction between the elements.

Atoms with fewer than eight valence electrons bond by sharing electrons.

Question 7

Match the terms with their definitions.

Match Term Definition
Ionic bond A) The electrostatic force holding together particles of an ionic compound.
Ionization B) The amount of energy needed remove electrons from atoms.
Ionization energy C) The tendency of an atom to gain electrons when forming bonds.
Electron affinity D) A characteristic of ionic compounds
Crystal lattice E) The process of removing electrons from atoms to form ions.

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you think the answers are?

Narrow down some of the choices you know are wrong.
megamu002 said:
I NEED SOME HELP WITH MY CHEMISTRY!
A compound is when two or more _____ chemically bond together.
atoms
neutrons
mixtures
Out of this list, only one thing chemically bond.

megamu002 said:
Question
Which is an example of a compound whose individual elements are very dangerious, but when combined make a useful compound?
Table Salt
Sodium Metal
Chlorine Gas
There is only 1 compound in the list, the other two are elements.

megamu002 said:
Question 4
Which is an example of an element that when in it's elemental form, are very dangerious, but when combined with another element, makes a useful compound?
Sodium metal
Iron metal
Table Salt
Take a hint from the previous question. Iron metal isn't all that dangerous, and table salt isn't an element.

megamu002 said:
Question 5
Which of the following is the correct formula for the element when in its natural state?
H
H2
Mg2
For this one, you might just need more experience in seeing the elements written. Hydrogen is a diatomic element, meaning that normally it likes to pair up with itself and form H2 rather than just plain H. Mercury is not like this however.

megamu002 said:
Question 6
Lewis proposed that:
Elements are most stable when they contained eight electrons in their valence shell.
Chemical bonds are formed because of electron interaction between the elements.
Atoms with fewer than eight valence electrons bond by sharing electrons.
I am not totally confident with this answer, but I think it might be the first one. You should double check.

megamu002 said:
Question 7
Match the terms with their definitions.
Match Term Definition
Ionic bond A) The electrostatic force holding together particles of an ionic compound.
Ionization B) The amount of energy needed remove electrons from atoms.
Ionization energy C) The tendency of an atom to gain electrons when forming bonds.
Electron affinity D) A characteristic of ionic compounds
Crystal lattice E) The process of removing electrons from atoms to form ions.
You can look these definitions up in the back of the book.

An ionic bond is a bond between two ions, which are charged atoms (cation is the postively charged one, and the anion is the negatively charged atom). Of course opposites attract, and so an electrostatic attraction between the two charge atoms would induce an ionic bond. The way an atom would become negatively or postively charged is when it either loses or gains an electron. A covalent bond is when two or more atoms share electrons. This way, the valence shells of the two or more atoms are filled (which would be 8 electrons, or 8 e-).

It looks to me like someone wanted someone else to do their homework for them.

JonahHex said:
It looks to me like someone wanted someone else to do their homework for them.
I agree !

Megamu : There are rules for posting homework questions here. You can't simply expect to post the questions and have someone tell you the answers. Find the link to the homework rules in my signature.

1. What is the difference between an element and a compound?

An element is a pure substance made up of only one type of atom, while a compound is a substance made up of two or more elements chemically bonded together.

2. How do you calculate the molar mass of a compound?

To calculate the molar mass of a compound, you add the atomic masses of all the elements present in the compound. The atomic masses can be found on the periodic table. Make sure to multiply each atomic mass by the number of atoms present in the compound.

3. What is the difference between a physical change and a chemical change?

A physical change is a change in the physical properties of a substance, such as its shape or state, without changing its chemical composition. A chemical change, on the other hand, results in the formation of a new substance with different chemical properties.

4. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you must make sure that the number of atoms of each element on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of each element on the product side. This can be achieved by adding coefficients in front of the reactants and products.

5. What is the difference between an exothermic and endothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction releases energy in the form of heat, while an endothermic reaction absorbs energy from its surroundings. Exothermic reactions often feel warm to the touch, while endothermic reactions may feel cool.