Chg_mem error problem with MCNP

In summary, the problem is with the input file, which runs correctly on an older computer with Windows XP, but fails on a more powerful computer with Windows 10. The input file appears to be too large for the more powerful computer, causing the chg_mem error.
zhangxm
TL;DR Summary
Hi,
I have a problem with MCNP. The problem is : the input file can run correctly on WindowsXP system,but when I run it on a more powerful computer with win10 system , the MCNP showed "chg_mem error". How to solve this problem?
Hi,
I have a problem with MCNP. The problem is : the input file can run correctly on WindowsXP system,but when I run it on a more powerful computer with win10 system , the MCNP showed "chg_mem error". How to solve this problem? can MCNP only operate on winXP or win2000 system?

Engineering news on Phys.org
zhangxm said:
can MCNP only operate on winXP or win2000 system?

No !
perhaps you have a very old version of MCNP (4 ?)

PSRB191921 said:
No !
The version is MCNPX 2.5 and MCNP5. I use the input file of human voxel phantom to calculate organ dose, it can run correctly on an older computer with winXP system , which run very slowly due to the poor ability of the cpu . So I transfer it to a more powful computer with intel Core i9 cpu and win10 system, then i run it with the MCNPX 2.5 and MCNP5 respectively which were installed correctly on the above computer, but the result showed chg_mem error. What's the reason ?

can you give your input file ?
I can try with mcnp and mcnp6 with windows 10,

PSRB191921 said:
thanks you a lot. can you give me your email address? so i can give you the input file.
or you can email me to the address: amms_zhangxm@163.com

PSRB191921 said:
No !
I found if the number of voxels is lower, for example 1500000, the input file can run correctly on the win10 system, but if the voxel number is bigger, for example above 19000000, it will show the chg_mem error

PSRB191921 said:

I have the same problem with Win 10! how can I resolve it?
thanks!

1. What is a Chg_mem error in MCNP?

A Chg_mem error in MCNP is an error that occurs when the program runs out of memory while performing calculations. This can happen if the input file is too large or if there is not enough memory available on the computer.

2. How can I fix a Chg_mem error in MCNP?

To fix a Chg_mem error in MCNP, you can try increasing the memory available for the program to use. This can be done by adjusting the "maxmem" parameter in the input file or by running the program on a computer with more available memory.

3. Why does a Chg_mem error occur in MCNP?

A Chg_mem error can occur in MCNP due to a variety of reasons, such as an input file that is too large or complex, insufficient memory on the computer, or errors in the input file itself. It can also be caused by running the program on a computer with limited memory or processing power.

4. Can I prevent Chg_mem errors from happening in MCNP?

While it is not possible to completely prevent Chg_mem errors from occurring in MCNP, there are steps you can take to minimize the chances of it happening. This includes optimizing your input file, running the program on a computer with enough memory, and regularly monitoring the memory usage during calculations.

5. Is there a limit to the amount of memory MCNP can use?

Yes, there is a limit to the amount of memory that MCNP can use. This limit is determined by the "maxmem" parameter in the input file and the available memory on the computer. If the program reaches this limit, a Chg_mem error will occur. It is important to carefully manage the memory usage and adjust the "maxmem" parameter accordingly to avoid Chg_mem errors.