Chirality and charge - Could someone please check this

The chirality is a property of the spinor field, not of individual particles. All electrons have left-handed chirality, but there are also right-handed neutrinos that are identical to electrons except for the chirality. In summary, the conversation discusses electron chirality and charge, with the conclusion that all electrons have left-handed chirality and can also have right-handed neutrinos. Additionally, the conversation mentions the observer-dependent nature of helicity and the symmetry between a parity transformation and inverting the charge of the particle (CP-symmetry).
HowardTheDuck
Hi, I was wondering if someone could please check this, my current understanding of electron chirality and charge, just to see if I'm wrong at all. Thanks a lot.

All electrons have left-handed chirality. Helicity, in the other hand, is observer-dependent, the way you look at the chirality depending on whether the particle is coming toward you or going away from you. So you might see the spin as either "spin up" or "spin down", the two options for helicity.

Chirality depends on the particle wavefunction. If you invert the sign of the phase of the wavefunction, this is like reflecting the particle a mirror. This is a parity transformation.
If I change the sign of the phase of the wavefunction in this way, I am effectively inverting the electric charge of the electron (negative charge to positive charge). So there is a symmetry if I change the wavefunction by a parity transformation, and at the same time invert the charge of the particle (this is CP-symmetry).

Thanks a lot.

Physics news on Phys.org
HowardTheDuck said:
H
All electrons have left-handed chirality.
No, electrons (and massive particles in general) aren't eigenfunctions of chirality.

1. What is chirality?

Chirality refers to the property of a molecule that makes it non-superimposable on its mirror image. In other words, a molecule is chiral if it has a left and right-handed version that cannot be made to overlap perfectly.

2. Why is chirality important?

Chirality is important in many biological and chemical processes because it can greatly affect the properties and behavior of molecules. For example, chiral molecules can interact differently with enzymes and other biomolecules, leading to different biological effects.

3. What is charge?

Charge is a fundamental property of matter that describes the amount of electrical energy that a particle possesses. It can be positive or negative, and particles with the same charge repel each other while particles with opposite charges attract.

4. How does chirality affect charge?

Chirality does not directly affect charge, but it can influence the distribution of charge in a molecule. The spatial arrangement of atoms in a chiral molecule can cause it to have a slightly different charge distribution compared to its mirror image, which can affect its reactivity and interactions with other molecules.

5. What are some real-world applications of chirality and charge?

Chirality and charge have many important applications in fields such as pharmaceuticals, materials science, and environmental sciences. For example, chiral molecules are essential in drug design as their different biological effects can be used to target specific receptors. Charge is also important in electronics and battery technology, where the movement of charged particles is harnessed for energy storage and transmission.