Chirality/Helicity difference?

In summary, helicity and chirality are two terms commonly used in high-energy physics. Helicity refers to the projection of the total angular momentum of a particle onto its direction of motion, while chirality is a more complex concept involving mathematical explanations such as eigen spinors and projectors. Helicity is applicable to both massless and massive particles, while chirality is only defined for massless particles. The clock analogy helps to understand the difference between the two concepts, with helicity being related to the rotation of the clock's hands and chirality being related to the direction of rotation. However, chirality is Lorentz-invariant while helicity is not.
qnach
I think these two words is most often used in high-energy physics.
However, what are the differences between Chirality and Helicity

The clock always turns "clockwisely", if you look in front of the clock. Is that chirality or helicity?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Helicity is the projection of the total angular momentum of the particle to the direction of its momentum. Chirality is not so easy to understand. I have only a mathematical explanation for Dirac fermions, consisting of a lefthanded and a righthanded component. Chirality eigen spinors are eigenvectors of ##\gamma_5=\mathrm{i} \gamma^0 \gamma^1 \gamma^2 \gamma^3##, and the projectors to left- and right-handed components are
$$P_{R/L}=\frac{1 \pm \gamma_5}{2}.$$
For massless Dirac fermions helicity and chirality eigenstates coincide, but not for massive ones.

vanhees71 said:
Helicity is the projection of the total angular momentum of the particle to the direction of its momentum. Chirality is not so easy to understand. I have only a mathematical explanation for Dirac fermions, consisting of a lefthanded and a righthanded component. Chirality eigen spinors are eigenvectors of ##\gamma_5=\mathrm{i} \gamma^0 \gamma^1 \gamma^2 \gamma^3##, and the projectors to left- and right-handed components are
$$P_{R/L}=\frac{1 \pm \gamma_5}{2}.$$
For massless Dirac fermions helicity and chirality eigenstates coincide, but not for massive ones.
The clock always turns "clockwisely", if you look in front of the clock. Is that chirality or helicity?

qnach said:
It's helicity, but the value depends on the relative momentum between you and the clock (i.e., whether you're approaching, or receding from, the clock).

Chirality has to do with whether a system is the same as its mirror image.

Hm, it's a bit difficult. On the one hand, I'd also say, it's helicity since the hands of the clock are rotating, but on the other hand, helicity is the projection of the angular momentum to the momentum of the particle, but if the particle (or here the clock) is at rest, I can't define helicity to begin with. So here it's chirality in a sense, because we define a direction out of the plane where the hands of the clock rotate and use our right hand to check whether it runs in positive (counter-clockwise) or negative (clockwise) direction.

In other words we need to compare the orientation of the hands' rotation with some (arbitrarily) fixed orientation, for which we practically use our right hand.

There is this funny tale about how to communicate with an alien, what's left and right, for which we have to use something generally available to define orientation. The best thing we have are neutrinos of the Standard Model, which always come as left-handed spinors (because they couple only via left-handed chiral interactions of quantum flavor dynamics). We also communicate that we always shake right hands to greet each other (supposed the aliens are similarly built as humans and thus have hands to shake). When the proud physicists meets the alien, it offers its left hand, because it's made of antimatter and thus calles the always right-handed antineutrinos "neutrinos" ;-)).

Likes Imager
vanhees71 said:
On the one hand, I'd also say, it's helicity since the hands of the clock are rotating, but on the other hand, helicity is the projection of the angular momentum to the momentum of the particle, but if the particle (or here the clock) is at rest, I can't define helicity to begin with. So here it's chirality in a sense, because we define a direction out of the plane where the hands of the clock rotate and use our right hand to check whether it runs in positive (counter-clockwise) or negative (clockwise) direction.
But chirality is Lorentz-invariant, whereas helicity is not.

Helicity is Lorentz invariant for massless particles. That's while it's the natural choice for the polarization observables of massless particles/photons, while for massive particles spin is defined in its rest frame, which is a preferred frame for this case.

For the clock, it's clear that you can always choose the restframe of the clock to define the orientation.

If the alien offers his left hand, DON'T TOUCH IT!

1. What is chirality and helicity?

Chirality is a property of a molecule or object that describes its asymmetry in three-dimensional space. It means that the molecule cannot be superimposed on its mirror image. Helicity, on the other hand, refers to the direction of the twist or turn of an object, such as a spiral staircase.

2. How are chirality and helicity different?

Chirality and helicity are different because chirality refers to the asymmetry of an object, while helicity refers to the direction of the twist or turn of an object. They are two separate concepts and should not be confused with each other.

3. How do chirality and helicity affect molecules?

Chirality and helicity can have a significant impact on the properties and behavior of molecules. Chiral molecules can exhibit different biological activities depending on their orientation, while helical molecules can have different mechanical and optical properties.

4. What is the importance of understanding chirality and helicity?

Understanding chirality and helicity is essential in various fields such as chemistry, biology, and physics. It can help in the development of new drugs, understanding molecular interactions, and designing structures with specific properties.

5. How is chirality and helicity determined in molecules?

The chirality and helicity of molecules can be determined by examining their symmetry and orientation in three-dimensional space. Techniques such as x-ray crystallography and nuclear magnetic resonance (NMR) spectroscopy can also be used to determine the chirality and helicity of molecules.