How Does Chirality Affect the Dirac Adjoint in Quantum Mechanics?

In summary, the question is about defining the chirality condition for the Dirac adjoint and verifying its consistency. It is shown that by taking the Dirac adjoint and using the chosen signature, the chirality condition can be rewritten as ##\bar{\psi}\gamma_5=-\bar{\psi}##. However, this may seem inconsistent when considering the quantity ##\bar{\psi}\gamma_5\psi##, but it is actually consistent since it equals to zero when ##\psi## is chiral. This can also be verified using the chiral components.
synoe
I have a question about chirality.
When a spinor [itex]\psi[/itex] have plus chirality, namely
[tex]
\gamma_5\psi=+\psi,
[/tex]
how can I write this condition for the Dirac adjoint [itex]\bar{\psi}=\psi^\dagger i\gamma^0[/itex]?

Let me choose the signature as [itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}=\mathrm{diag}(-,+,+,+)[/itex] and define [itex]\gamma_5\equiv i\gamma^0\gamma^1\gamma^2\gamma^3[/itex]. Taking the Dirac adjoint of the left hand side of the above equation,
[tex]
(\gamma_5\psi)^\dagger i\gamma^0=\psi^\dagger\gamma^\dagger_5i\gamma^0\\
=\psi^\dagger(-\gamma^0\gamma^0)\gamma_5i\gamma^0\\
=\bar{\psi}\gamma^0\gamma^0\\
=-\bar{\psi}\gamma_5,
[/tex]
so the chirality condition seems to be rewritten as
[tex]
\bar{\psi}\gamma_5=-\bar{\psi}.
[/tex]

However, for example, considering a quantity [itex]\bar{\psi}\gamma_5\psi[/itex], this result is inconsistent. Where is wrong in the above calculation?

Physics news on Phys.org
It's not inconsistent, since ##\bar{\psi}\gamma_5 \psi =0## if ##\psi## is chiral. Essentially you have already proved it, but you can also verify it in terms of the chiral components.

1. What is chirality of Dirac adjoint?

The chirality of Dirac adjoint refers to the property of the Dirac adjoint operator, which is a mathematical representation of the adjoint of the Dirac operator. It is a concept used in quantum field theory to describe the behavior of fermions (particles with half-integer spin) under symmetry transformations.

2. Why is chirality of Dirac adjoint important?

Chirality of Dirac adjoint is important because it helps us understand the fundamental symmetries of particles and their interactions. It also plays a crucial role in explaining the observed differences in the behavior of matter and antimatter.

3. How does chirality of Dirac adjoint affect particle interactions?

The chirality of Dirac adjoint affects particle interactions by determining the type of interaction a particle can undergo. For example, a particle with left-handed chirality can only interact via the weak nuclear force, while a particle with right-handed chirality can only interact via the strong nuclear force.

4. Can chirality of Dirac adjoint change?

No, chirality of Dirac adjoint is a fundamental property of particles and cannot be changed. It is a conserved quantity in particle interactions and can only be flipped by the action of the weak nuclear force.

5. How is chirality of Dirac adjoint related to the Higgs mechanism?

Chirality of Dirac adjoint is related to the Higgs mechanism through the Higgs field, which is responsible for giving particles their mass. The Higgs mechanism also generates the chirality of particles, meaning that the chirality of Dirac adjoint is directly linked to the mass of particles.