Choosing a Calculator for Physics and Engineering

In summary, the conversation discusses the topic of calculators and the speakers' preferences and recommendations. One person is looking to upgrade from their Ti-83 calculator and is seeking recommendations for a good calculator for their future studies. They prefer to stick with the TI brand and are considering the TI-89 and the TI-Nspire. Another person recommends the TI-89 for its capabilities in programming and the ability to use C or M68000 assembly. Another person recommends HP calculators for its unique feature of reverse Polish notation and the option to work in either approximation or exact mode. They specifically mention the HP 50g and its leather case. Finally, someone suggests the TI-86 as a versatile and practical option with a lot of useful programs
loobloke
Hi there

I'm doing a double degree in physics and mech engineering.

Up until now, I've been using my good old Ti-83 and has served me well but me thinks it may be time to maybe invest in a good calculator for the future.

I would prefer to stay with the TI brand since I'm very comfortable with using it, and I'm looking at 2 in particular.

http://education.ti.com/educationportal/sites/US/productDetail/us_ti89ti.html
http://education.ti.com/calculators/products/US/Nspire-Family/

Anyone got any recommendations?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org
One of my friends has the Ti89, it is a bloody amazing calculator. Everything you could ever need to do, including creating programs in C (I believe) can be done.

KrisOhn said:
One of my friends has the Ti89, it is a bloody amazing calculator. Everything you could ever need to do, including creating programs in C (I believe) can be done.
Yes, you can create programs in C or M68000 assembly or TI-89 BASIC - see http://www.ti-89.org/faq.html#topic42 . Pretty amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Myself I'm not familiar with the TI series, but I go with the HP calculators. They have one thing that I don't know any other calculator that has - reversed Polish notation. I love it, it's just super. Forget about keeping track of how many parenthesis you have written, and if you want to use a variable again later, just duplicate it on the stack and you won't have to save it as a variable in the calculator's memory. Besides you can change the font size (thus you can choose how much information that should fit on the screen vs. readability of the letters), which I don't think you can do on the TI calculators.

I have an HP 50g; it comes with a nice leather case. You can choose either to work in approximation mode, or exact mode, in which it will work with symbols and expressions and not turn anything into floating point numbers. Reversed Polish notation can be turned off to make it work like a normal calculator, as many people seem to have trouble understanding how it works. However that's just an extra reason to have it turned on! ;)

Just get a TI-86 they are very versatile and practical. They have a lot of fans so many useful programs have been written for it. Anything beyond a TI-86, like graphing a 3-D object or something along those lines, you should be using a software on the computer.

1. What features should I look for in a calculator for physics and engineering?

When choosing a calculator for physics and engineering, it is important to look for features such as scientific notation, trigonometric functions, unit conversions, and the ability to solve complex equations. It is also helpful to have a large display and the option to store and recall previous calculations.

2. Can I use a graphing calculator for physics and engineering courses?

Yes, graphing calculators can be useful for visualizing functions and data in physics and engineering courses. However, make sure to check with your professor or course syllabus to see if a graphing calculator is allowed for exams.

3. Is there a specific brand or model of calculator recommended for physics and engineering?

There is no one specific brand or model that is recommended for all physics and engineering courses. It is important to consider the features you need and compare different options to find the best fit for your specific needs and budget.

4. Do I need a calculator with programming capabilities for physics and engineering?

While programming capabilities can be useful for more advanced calculations, it is not necessarily a requirement for most physics and engineering courses. However, if you plan on pursuing a career in these fields, it may be beneficial to have a calculator with programming capabilities to familiarize yourself with this aspect of the field.

5. Can I use a calculator app on my phone for physics and engineering courses?

It is not recommended to solely rely on a calculator app on your phone for physics and engineering courses. These apps may not have all the necessary features and can be distracting during exams. It is best to use a physical calculator for these courses.