What Elective Classes Should I Take for a BSEE to Specialize in FPGA and RF Systems?

• Courses
  • Thread starter Paddy1337
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Classes
In summary, the engineer advised the PF to take classes that will help him with his goals of becoming a systems engineer, and to also take classes to help him understand how software works.
Paddy1337
Hello,

I have a question for engineers, and I'm hoping they can assist me in selecting the most beneficial classes while pursuing my BSEE. First, let me give you my background in case that helps. I'm in the US, and already employed within my desired field (generally). My job title/labor category is actually Systems Engineer; I qualified based on my somewhat unique practical experience gained in the military. I do not, however, fool myself into thinking I'm a real engineer. I bring this up so that you have some perspective in that I have a pretty clear understanding of where I want to go with my career, but am not 100% sure on the exact path.

My desire is to design/build/R&D electronic systems in the RF domain. My background was in the T&E of already built systems, and some integration of systems. I want to create them. In the last 10 years, as an end-user, I saw my systems transition to almost entirely FPGA based. I was not a fan of them, originally, but have seen that in my specific field, they are here to stay and getting extremely prolific. Antennas blow my mind, but my research into the science behind them has scared me off that track, if I'm honest.

At this point, here's electives that make sense to me:
HDL and programmable logic
DSPs
Microwaves
Communication systems
various upper-level circuits classes

Can you see any glaring gaps in my plan? I don't want to graduate thinking I have education that applies to FPGAs and find out HDL was one little piece of the puzzle and I missed something more important.

Thank you greatly

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF, and thank you for your military service (Army brat here). :smile:
Paddy1337 said:
At this point, here's electives that make sense to me:
HDL and programmable logic
DSPs
Microwaves
Communication systems
various upper-level circuits classes
In my experience, almost all FPGA and ASIC and IC logic design is done in Verilog, not HDL. I'd check to be sure that Verilog is covered in that class.

It also sounds like you could benefit from an extra upper-division EM class, if your university offers them. Have fun!

Likes Paddy1337
berkeman said:
In my experience, almost all FPGA and ASIC and IC logic design is done in Verilog, not HDL

I thought Verilog was a type of HDL, like C++ is a type of OOP.
The main languages are Verilog used for commercial, and VHDL used for Military. If you know one, you can leap to the other, with some slight changes.

I think all those classes are great choices for a systems engineer. Two things that you might want to add, if it is not already part of your skillset or covered in coursework.

Knowledge of a computation language, like matlab. This will prob come with the other classes, and will help in upper level RF classes. The new big thing in FPGAs is using simulink to create model's and algorithms, then autogenerating the HDL, allowing you to bypass vhdl and verilog.

A computer software class to supplement your dsp/fpga abilities. As a system engineer, it is a good idea for you to dip your hands in many things. While you may not be writing software, you might have to modify the software, or write test software for your fpga, etc. Knowing how to do that will supplement your skillset very well.

Likes Paddy1337 and berkeman

1. What are the core classes required for a BSEE degree?

The core classes for a BSEE degree typically include courses in mathematics, physics, circuits, electronics, and computer programming. These classes provide a strong foundation in the fundamental principles of electrical engineering.

2. How do I choose electives for my BSEE degree?

When choosing electives, it is important to consider your career goals and interests. Look for courses that align with your desired specialization or that cover topics you are passionate about. You can also consult with your academic advisor for recommendations.

3. Can I take classes outside of the engineering department for my BSEE degree?

Yes, many universities allow students to take a certain number of classes outside of their major for a well-rounded education. However, these classes may need to be approved by your academic advisor and may not count towards your engineering degree requirements.

4. Are there any recommended classes for preparing for a BSEE degree?

Some recommended classes for preparing for a BSEE degree include calculus, physics, and computer programming. These classes cover important concepts that will be built upon in your engineering courses.

5. Can I change my class schedule after the semester has started?

It may be possible to change your class schedule after the semester has started, but it will depend on the policies of your university and the availability of the desired classes. It is best to consult with your academic advisor for guidance and to make any changes as early as possible.