Choosing the Right Material for Shock Absorption: A Guide

In summary, shock absorption can be calculated by using the formula Force = Mass x Acceleration or Work = Force x Distance. It is important for understanding the impact and potential damage of collisions and can aid in designing and testing safety equipment. The material of an object affects its shock absorption capabilities, with materials high in density, elasticity, and strength being better at absorbing shock. The standard unit for measuring shock absorption is joules (J) or newton-meters (N*m), although other units can be converted for comparison. Shock absorption can be improved through using better materials, adding layers or padding, and designing and testing safety equipment.
Gallardox
Hello!

I’ve recently become very interested in Sorbothane as a shock absorbing material, with the purpose of protecting sensitive equipment of mine from drops. My background on physics is limited and I would really appreciate any help, especially since Sorbothane can be costly and I’m a little reluctant about making the investment without having a sense of how useful the material will actually be.

Sorbothane has a “Design guide” http://www.sorbothane.com/Sorbothane-Design-Guide101409.pdf" , which may be used to calculate shock absorption, and which I’m having trouble putting together. The equipment I’d like to protect weights about 15 lbs, and I’d like to test dropping it at about 10 ft. The case I’ll be dropping has a “worst drop angle” where the surface impact would be 5” x 2”.

My questions are: based on that surface area, weight of the case, and drop height, what thickness of Sorbothane would I need to reasonably protect the material, and at what durometer? Would it make a difference if smaller pads are used together in that area compared to a larger rectangular one? And finally, does anyone know of a similar or better material I can use to cushion a drop and absorb shock?

Any input will be much, MUCH appreciated! Thank you if you’ve read thus far.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org

Hello! As a scientist with a background in materials science and engineering, I would be happy to offer some advice and information about Sorbothane and other shock absorbing materials.

Firstly, Sorbothane is a highly effective shock absorbing material due to its unique viscoelastic properties. It has a high damping coefficient, meaning it can dissipate a large amount of energy when subjected to impact or vibration. This makes it an ideal material for protecting sensitive equipment from drops or impacts.

In terms of calculating the thickness and durometer (hardness) of Sorbothane needed for your application, it would be best to consult with the manufacturer or a materials testing lab. The design guide you mentioned can be a helpful starting point, but it may not take into account all the variables and conditions specific to your equipment and drop scenario. They may also be able to provide recommendations for using smaller pads versus a larger rectangular one.

In terms of other materials that can be used for shock absorption, there are a few options. Rubber and silicone elastomers are commonly used for similar applications, but they may not have the same level of shock absorption as Sorbothane. There are also some newer materials, such as polymer foams and gels, that are being developed specifically for shock absorption. Again, consulting with a materials expert or doing some research on specific materials and their properties can help you make an informed decision.

I hope this information helps you in your decision-making process. It's always important to thoroughly research and test materials before making a significant investment, so I commend you for seeking out more information before using Sorbothane for your equipment protection needs. Best of luck!

1. How do you calculate shock absorption?

To calculate shock absorption, you need to know the mass of the object, the velocity at which it is moving, and the impact time. The formula for shock absorption is Force = Mass x Acceleration. You can also use the formula Work = Force x Distance to calculate the energy absorbed by an object during a collision.

2. What is the significance of calculating shock absorption?

Calculating shock absorption is important for understanding the impact and potential damage of a collision. It can also help in designing and testing safety equipment such as helmets, seat belts, and airbags to ensure they can effectively absorb and reduce the force of an impact.

3. How does the material of an object affect its shock absorption?

The material of an object plays a crucial role in its shock absorption capabilities. Materials with high density, such as metals, can absorb more shock compared to materials with lower density, such as foam. Additionally, materials with higher elasticity and strength also tend to have better shock absorption properties.

4. Is there a standard unit for measuring shock absorption?

Yes, the standard unit for measuring shock absorption is joules (J). It is a unit of energy and can also be expressed in newton-meters (N*m). Other units such as pounds (lbs) or kilograms (kg) can also be used, but they would need to be converted to joules for accurate comparison.

5. Can shock absorption be improved?

Yes, shock absorption can be improved through various methods. Using materials with better shock absorption properties, such as foam or rubber, can help reduce the impact force. Additionally, adding layers or padding can also improve shock absorption. Designing and testing safety equipment can also lead to improvements in shock absorption capabilities.