Design Bicycle Cargo Rack w/ Shock Absorbers for Laptop

In summary, The OP is researching a way to protect sensitive equipment while transporting it on a bicycle. They have data on the maximum height and acceleration of a laptop that may be subjected to damage. They are also interested in finding the appropriate shock absorbers for this purpose. The OP is trying to determine how to relate the force that a laptop is subjected to on impact to the parameters of a shock absorber. They are also interested in determining the energy that is transferred to the laptop from the bump.
geewhiz
I am trying to design a bicycle cargo rack that uses shock absorbers to protect sensitive equipment (i.e. a laptop computer). I have data for the maximum height from which laptops can fall without damage as well as the maximum acceleration to which they may safely be subjected. I am planning to do an experiment that measures the change in acceleration of a bicycle riding over a bump at ordinary travel speeds. I would like to use this data to select appropriate shock absorbers for my purpose. My problem is that I am unsure how to identify the appropriate quantities (i.e., force, energy), and relate them to the appropriate parameters of a shock absorber(damping coefficient etc.).

My specific questions are:
1) (Assuming force is the appropriate qty) How can I relate the fall height of a computer to the force it sustains on impact?

2) If I can measure the change in acceleration of the bicycle, how can I relate this to the force applied specifically to the cargo load (as opposed to the cargo load, bicycle and rider)?

3) Once I determine the force to which the load is subjected, how do I relate this to the appropriate parameters of the shock absorber?

Any insight you may be able to provide is greatly appreciated! Sorry for the long post.

Physics news on Phys.org
Just because a computer can fall from height X and still work does not mean it should be subjected to continuously repeated forces equivalent to falling from 1/2 X. I think your design objective needs to be to carry it with as little shock as possible.

That being said, the term "shock absorber" is a misnomer. Shock absorbers do not absorb shock, springs do that. Shock absorbers prevent harmonic oscillations of the springs by converting kinetic energy into heat.

That being said, the term "shock absorber" is a misnomer.
That gave me a laugh as you are the frist person I have ever heard say such a truthful profound statement. colloqual english is very bad at times.

To the OP - in analysis it is called a damper.

Thank you for your replies.

Re: "Shock absorbers do not absorb shock, springs do that," I guess my conception of a shock absorber includes both a spring and a damper. It seems that they are usually both included in the same unit. Ideally I would be able to find the optimal spring stiffness as well as damping coefficient, but I don't know how to calculate either without determining the force exerted on the cargo load.

Hello,
I am narrowing down my question in hopes of generating more of a response. Could anyone help me understand how to determine: 1)the energy that would be transferred to an item stored on a cargo rack from a rider going over a bump at a certain speed and 2) the acceleration that the cargo would experience. I know this is an extremely complex problem, but any information you might be able to provide to simplify it would be greatly appreciated.

1. How does the shock absorber system work on the bicycle cargo rack?

The shock absorber system on the bicycle cargo rack is designed to absorb and dampen vibrations and impacts while riding. It consists of a spring-loaded mechanism that compresses and expands to absorb bumps and shocks from the road or trail. This helps to protect the laptop from any potential damage.

2. What materials are used to make the bicycle cargo rack with shock absorbers?

The bicycle cargo rack is typically made of lightweight and durable materials such as aluminum, steel, or carbon fiber. The shock absorbers themselves may also be made of a combination of materials, including rubber, plastic, or metal springs.

3. Can the shock absorbers be adjusted for different weight loads?

Yes, the shock absorbers on the bicycle cargo rack can usually be adjusted to accommodate different weight loads. This can be done by adjusting the tension of the springs or by adding or removing additional shock absorbers as needed.

4. How does the design of the bicycle cargo rack prevent the laptop from shifting or falling off?

The bicycle cargo rack is designed with secure attachment points and adjustable straps or clamps to hold the laptop in place. Additionally, the shock absorbers help to minimize any movement or vibrations that could cause the laptop to shift or fall off.

5. Is the bicycle cargo rack with shock absorbers compatible with all types of bicycles?

Most bicycle cargo racks with shock absorbers are designed to be compatible with a wide range of bicycles, including road bikes, mountain bikes, and hybrid bikes. However, it is always best to check the specifications and compatibility of the rack with your specific bike before purchasing.