Cigarette lighter in the fridge?

• Thread starter xunxine
  • Start date
  • Tags
    fridge
In summary, a person had a fallout with a colleague at work and retaliated by taking their cigarette lighter and hiding it. They plan to put it in the fridge in the office pantry, but it is unlikely to cause any harm to the lighter as butane's freezing point is too low for a household freezer. However, placing the lighter in an ice cube may affect its efficiency at lower temperatures. After warming it back to room temperature, it should work fine.
xunxine
Recently I had a fallout with a close colleague of mine at work that sort of escalated into a grave situation. In retaliation (which is pretty minor compared to what he did), I took his cigarette lighter and hid it from him. We've been telling him to quit smoking anyway. He threw a fit upon discovering his lighter was gone. To spite him further, I plan to put his lighter in the fridge in the office pantry. He would find it there himself.
My question is, would this have any effect on the lighter in the fridge? Frozen and unusable thereafter? Or should I think of another 'harmless' plan?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hello.
Placing the lighter in the fridge or freezer will likely not cause any harm as Butane's freezing point is too low for a household freezer (-220 F). Your arch enemy would find the lighter "as is".
Now, an annoying trick would be to put the lighter in an ice cube and leaving it for him to find, but I really don't think you should escalate this spat any further.

Likes aikismos and xunxine
copper-head said:
Hello.
Placing the lighter in the fridge or freezer will likely not cause any harm as Butane's freezing point is too low for a household freezer (-220 F). Your arch enemy would find the lighter "as is".
Now, an annoying trick would be to put the lighter in an ice cube and leaving it for him to find, but I really don't think you should escalate this spat any further.

Thanks for the explanation! The idea is to put it not in the freezer but in the fridge (where he keeps his coke... haha)
But in that annoying trick, what would happen? The lighter fluid would still be liquid, wouldn't it? Just that the lighter would be harder to find, in ice and in the freezer.

It's not to escalate it further, but sometimes a little mischief is what is needed.

Exactly, the Butane would still be in liquid form.

Lighters do operate less efficiently at lower temperatures.
A lighter that works fine at room temperature might not ignite at fridge temperature. Plus condensed moisture might interfere with its flint.

I know that sounds implausible, but take it from someone who likes his daily stogie even in the winter - I have to keep my lighter warm in my pocket or it stops working.

Both problems go away after two minutes at room temp. (The question then is, how quick is his temper?)

Likes xunxine
DaveC426913 said:
Lighters do operate less efficiently at lower temperatures.
A lighter that works fine at room temperature might not ignite at fridge temperature. Plus condensed moisture might interfere with its flint.

I know that sounds implausible, but take it from someone who likes his daily stogie even in the winter - I have to keep my lighter warm in my pocket or it stops working.

Both problems go away after two minutes at room temp. (The question then is, how quick is his temper?)

Temperature will affect the vapor pressure of the butane, meaning that at lower temperatures, there will be less butane vapor available to start the flame. Going from ~ 20C to ~0C, the vapor pressure drops by a factor of 2 (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butane_(data_page)#Vapor_pressure_of_liquid), so this may be a factor.

But I agree with everyone else. After warming the lighter back to room temperature, it should work fine.

Likes xunxine
I can vouch for the fact that butane will not vaporize readily if you cool it - the boiling point is right at the freezing temperature of water. I learned this the hard way, camping out on a cold night: my butane stove did not work in the morning.

Likes xunxine

1. Why would someone put a cigarette lighter in the fridge?

Putting a cigarette lighter in the fridge is a common practice among smokers because it can help keep the lighter's flame burning for a longer period of time. The cold temperature in the fridge slows down the evaporation of the lighter fluid, making it last longer.

2. Will putting a cigarette lighter in the fridge damage the lighter or the fridge?

No, putting a cigarette lighter in the fridge will not damage either the lighter or the fridge. Lighters are designed to withstand low temperatures and the fridge is not cold enough to cause any damage. However, it is important to make sure the lighter is sealed properly to prevent any condensation from forming inside.

3. How long can a cigarette lighter be kept in the fridge?

A cigarette lighter can be kept in the fridge for as long as needed. The cold temperature will keep the lighter fluid from evaporating, so it can be stored in the fridge for an extended period of time without losing its functionality.

4. Is it safe to put a cigarette lighter in the fridge?

Yes, it is safe to put a cigarette lighter in the fridge. However, it is important to make sure the lighter is properly sealed to prevent any condensation from forming inside. It is also important to keep the lighter away from any food items to avoid any contamination.

5. Can any type of lighter be put in the fridge?

Most types of lighters can be put in the fridge without any issue. However, electronic lighters may not work properly in cold temperatures. It is best to check the manufacturer's instructions before putting any type of lighter in the fridge.