Circuit Analysis Homework Help: Parts A & C

In summary, the conversation is about solving for unknown variables in a circuit, specifically part A and C. The use of Ohm's law and nodal analysis is discussed, and the direction of current is determined based on voltage potential. The conversation ends with a thank you for the help.
KTiaam

Homework Statement

4gL67ax.png

Need help on part a.
and c.

The Attempt at a Solution

• Part A
Since Va = 4V then pin 2 and 3 also have 4v. Would that mean that Vin is = 4v as well?
Im just confused how to find I1.
Also I am not sure how to find Vc.
  • Part C
As for part c, I am having trouble with it entirely.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
KTiaam said:
Since Va = 4V then pin 2 and 3 also have 4v. Would that mean that Vin is = 4v as well?
Well, yes, but you'll have to argue that based on the characteristics of an opamp with negative feedback. If you think in terms of the two golden rules of ideal opamp analysis..

KTiaam said:
Im just confused how to find I1.
You know what the voltage is across R1. What about Ohm's law?

KTiaam said:
As for part c, I am having trouble with it entirely.
Consider again the behavior of an ideal opamp with the feedback shown. It desperately wants to turn on that BJT hard, so it can reduce the voltage across its terminals to zero, but that really only requires the BJT to just barely move out of its cutoff region. You usually assume something about VBE then.

Last edited:
milesyoung said:
You know what the voltage is across R1. What about Ohm's law?

The thing that threw me off, is what voltage to use with r1,
But based off of the orientation of the current source, I use Vb?

KTiaam said:
The thing that threw me off, is what voltage to use with r1,
But based off of the orientation of the current source, I use Vb?
The voltage (with respect to ground) at Vb is 6 V, and you drop down to 4 V as you cross the resistor to Va.

Does that help?

milesyoung said:
The voltage (with respect to ground) at Vb is 6 V, and you drop down to 4 V as you cross the resistor to Va.

Does that help?
so that means the voltage drop across the resistor is 2v, then using V=IR
i get 2mA?

or do i use Nodal Analysis?

KTiaam said:
so that means the voltage drop across the resistor is 2v, then using V=IR
i get 2mA?
Yes. :smile:

Since Vb is at a higher potential than Va, what does that tell you about the direction of the current?

KTiaam said:
or do i use Nodal Analysis?
Nodal analysis is useful when you need to solve for unknown node voltages, but you're already given the node voltages on either side of the resistor, so all there's left to do is just apply Ohm's law.

milesyoung said:
Yes. :smile:

Since Vb is at a higher potential than Va, what does that tell you about the direction of the current?

Current goes from a high to low potential so it goes from right to left!

Thank you for all the help Miles! I might have more questions incoming lol.

Related to Circuit Analysis Homework Help: Parts A & C

What is Circuit Analysis?

Circuit analysis is a branch of electrical engineering that deals with the study and analysis of electrical circuits. It involves using mathematical and engineering principles to understand and predict the behavior of electric circuits.

What are the main components of a circuit?

A circuit typically consists of three main components: a power source, such as a battery, a load, such as a light bulb or motor, and connecting wires. Other components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors, may also be present depending on the circuit's function.

What is Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws?

Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws are fundamental principles used in circuit analysis. They include Kirchhoff's Current Law, which states that the sum of currents entering a junction in a circuit must equal the sum of currents leaving the junction, and Kirchhoff's Voltage Law, which states that the sum of voltage drops around a closed loop in a circuit must equal the sum of voltage sources.

What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

AC (alternating current) circuits use an alternating voltage source, while DC (direct current) circuits use a constant voltage source. AC circuits are used for power distribution, while DC circuits are commonly used in electronic devices. Additionally, AC circuits involve the use of inductors and capacitors, while DC circuits typically do not.

How can I solve circuit analysis problems?

To solve circuit analysis problems, you will need to apply the principles of Kirchhoff's Circuit Laws and use various techniques, such as Ohm's Law, to calculate the values of current, voltage, and resistance in a circuit. It is also helpful to draw a circuit diagram and use algebraic equations to solve for unknown values.