Circuit Design Help for 0 to 5V Input and DC Output of 20V

In summary, the conversation discusses the design of a circuit that takes an input ranging from 0 to 5V and outputs 20V (DC) if the input is between 1 and 4V, and nothing for 0 or 5V. The proposed solution is a Shmidt trigger, but there are concerns about the output still being moderately large when the input goes above 4V and the reference voltage being tied to the output. Suggestions are made to design the circuit so that the reference voltage is fixed and to not worry about the non-ideal behavior of the op-amp for this class assignment.
danonymous
Hi!
This is my first time posting here at PF, so forgive me if i am going against any rules.

Homework Statement
I haven been given a problem to design a circuit that takes an input ranging from 0 to 5V, and outputs:
20V (DC) if the input is between 1 and 4V
and
nothing for 0 or 5V.

The attempt at a solution

From what i have learned from class/research, a Shmidt trigger would be a good approach.
i designed one that "kind of" works, but doesn't do what i had intended. it does output a 20V DC signal if the input is between 1 and 4V, but if i go above 4V, i still get a moderately large output (~12V).
below is my circuit and an explanation for my resistor values.

circuit1.jpg

from what i understand, with a Shmidt trigger,
Voutput = +V
until
V1 > +V*R2/(R1+R2)

once greater, Voutput would drop to -V.

i have set the positive and negative supply voltages on my comparator to be 20V and 1mV respectively.
thus, i was expecting Voutput to go to ~1mV when Vin > 4V.

any insight/hints would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
I see 1 problem, and possibly 2, with this design.

Yes, the output will become ~1 mV when V1 rises above 4 volts. But, at that point, the equation for the reference voltage (+ input of op-amp) will be

Vref = (1 mV)*R2/(R1+R2)

What is that new reference value then (hint: it is not 4V anymore).

You'll need to design things so that the Vref is fixed, not tied to the Vout which can change.

Another possible issue is that on most op-amps, Vout does not go all the way down to V--, or all the way up to V++. But if this is a class assignment, you can probably assume ideal behavior and not worry about that.

Hello! Welcome to PF. Your approach with a Shmidt trigger is a good start, but there are a few things you could improve upon to get the desired output. First, the comparator you are using may not have a rail-to-rail output, meaning it cannot output a voltage equal to the supply voltage. You may need to use a different comparator that has a rail-to-rail output. Additionally, the resistor values you have chosen may not be appropriate for the desired output. You may need to use a voltage divider to scale down the input voltage before it reaches the comparator. Finally, you may want to consider using a transistor as a switch to turn on the 20V DC output when the input voltage is within the desired range. I hope this helps and good luck with your circuit design!

Related to Circuit Design Help for 0 to 5V Input and DC Output of 20V

1. What is the purpose of a circuit design for 0 to 5V input and DC output of 20V?

The purpose of this circuit design is to convert a low voltage input signal of 0 to 5V into a higher DC output voltage of 20V. This could be useful in various applications such as powering electronic devices or amplifying weak signals.

2. Can this circuit design be used for both AC and DC input signals?

No, this circuit design is specifically designed for DC input signals. For AC input signals, a different circuit design would be required.

3. What components are needed for this circuit design?

The components needed will depend on the specific design and application, but some common components may include resistors, capacitors, diodes, transistors, and voltage regulators.

4. Is it possible to modify this circuit design for a different output voltage?

Yes, it is possible to modify this circuit design for a different output voltage. This would require adjusting the values of certain components, such as resistors, to achieve the desired output voltage.

5. Are there any safety considerations when working with this circuit design?

Yes, when working with any circuit design, it is important to follow proper safety precautions and handle all components with care. It is also important to properly ground the circuit and ensure that all connections are secure to avoid any potential hazards or malfunctions.