Circuit Explanation: 12V CFL and LED Usage?

In summary: The load current is 23W/230V = 0.1AThe circuit diagram says it can deliver 5A so the load is only 0.1/5 * 100 = 2% of the maximum.
Manoj Sahu
I stumbled upon this inverter circuit while searching for the same on internet. Can anyone please explain working of this circuit to me.
IMG_20170315_114520_114.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
The CD4047 is connected as an oscillator (frequency determined by19kΩ / 0.22μF). The outputs on pins 10 and 11 are in opposite phase (when one is high, the other is low) and in 50% duty cycle. Therefore the two MOSFETs are turned on alternately, driving the transformer with a square wave. This waveform is amplified through the transformer, creating a 230V square wave.

Likes davenn
Svein said:
The CD4047 is connected as an oscillator (frequency determined by19kΩ / 0.22μF). The outputs on pins 10 and 11 are in opposite phase (when one is high, the other is low) and in 50% duty cycle. Therefore the two MOSFETs are turned on alternately, driving the transformer with a square wave. This waveform is amplified through the transformer, creating a 230V square wave.
Thanks. How do I calculate the current and frequency ?

The free-running frequency (taken from the data sheet) is typically 1/(2.2*R*C) = 1/(2.2*19E3* 0.22E-6)Hz ≈ 110Hz. The output frequency is half of that.

Likes Manoj Sahu
The current depends on the load. Note that the output transformer is a 12:230 step up transformer so the current flowing in the FETs is much much higher than the load current. You may well need heatsinks on the FETs and suitably sized conductors/wires and 12v battery.

Likes Manoj Sahu
CWatters said:
The current depends on the load. Note that the output transformer is a 12:230 step up transformer so the current flowing in the FETs is much much higher than the load current. You may well need heatsinks on the FETs and suitably sized conductors/wires and 12v battery.
If I use two 20w cfl and one 3w led light, will the circuit be able to draw that kind of load? How much power the circuit is capable of drawing?

CWatters said:
As you said that FET's will draw much more current, will it not damage the transformer winding (assuming transformer is rated 12-0-12/230V, 5amp).?

Svein said:
The free-running frequency (taken from the data sheet) is typically 1/(2.2*R*C) = 1/(2.2*19E3* 0.22E-6)Hz ≈ 110Hz. The output frequency is half of that.
If I have to get frequency =50.xx Hz assuming that CD4047 is used in Astable mode where Ta=4.40RC, do I have to increase the resistance (+2.5 ohm)/capacitance.

Svein said:
How do you make an IC to work on 50% duty cycle ?

Manoj Sahu said:
If I use two 20w cfl and one 3w led light, will the circuit be able to draw that kind of load? How much power the circuit is capable of drawing?
Thats a very light load. Shouldn't be a problem for that circuit.

Manoj Sahu said:
I stumbled upon this inverter circuit while searching for the same on internet.

and just a little bit of advice
Next time post a pic with the correct orientation so everyone doesn't have to kink their neck to read it :smile::smile:

davenn said:
and just a little bit of advice
Next time post a pic with the correct orientation so everyone doesn't have to kink their neck to read it [emoji2][emoji2]
Oh yeah, that I forgot. Thanks for the bit of advice. [emoji4]

Likes davenn
Manoj Sahu said:
How do you make an IC to work on 50% duty cycle ?
Run the output through a "toggle" flip/flop.
cou1.gif

Likes jim hardy
Svein said:
Run the output through a "toggle" flip/flop.
View attachment 195028
Thank you. I have one doubt though. How should I calculate output power ?

You said the load is one 20W cfl and a 3W LED so the load power is 20 + 3 = 23W.

The load current is 23W/230V = 0.1A

The circuit diagram says it can deliver 5A so the load is only 0.1/5 * 100 = 2% of the maximum.

Have you considered using a 12V cfl lamp and a 12V LED instead of 230V ?

Likes PhysicoRaj and dlgoff

Related to Circuit Explanation: 12V CFL and LED Usage?

1. How does the flow of electricity through this circuit work?

The flow of electricity through a circuit is a continuous loop of electrical charge. It starts at the power source, such as a battery or outlet, and travels through the wires to the components in the circuit, providing power and allowing them to function. The flow of electricity is controlled by switches and resistors, and can be manipulated to create different effects.

2. What is the purpose of the different components in this circuit?

The different components in a circuit, such as resistors, capacitors, and diodes, all serve a specific purpose in controlling the flow of electricity. Resistors limit the amount of current in a circuit, capacitors store and release electrical energy, and diodes allow current to flow in only one direction. Each component plays a crucial role in the overall function of the circuit.

3. How does the voltage affect the operation of this circuit?

Voltage is the force that drives the flow of electricity in a circuit. It determines the amount of electrical energy available to power the components and can affect the overall performance of the circuit. Higher voltage can increase the speed and power of the circuit, while lower voltage may cause it to function slower or not at all.

4. Why is it important to have a complete circuit for electricity to flow?

A complete circuit is necessary for electricity to flow because it provides a complete path for the electrical charge to travel. If there is a break or interruption in the circuit, the flow of electricity will be stopped. This is why switches are used to open and close circuits, and why it is important to have all components connected properly for the circuit to function correctly.

5. How do I troubleshoot problems in a circuit that is not working?

If a circuit is not working, there could be a number of reasons why. The most common issues include loose or faulty connections, burned out components, or incorrect wiring. The best way to troubleshoot is to start at the power source and work your way through the circuit, checking each component and connection along the way. Using a multimeter can also help identify the source of the problem.