Circuits Question -- Charging a car battery in 4 hours....

In summary, the charging process uses 3A of current for 4 hours to transport a charge of 43.2 kC. The charging costs 9 cents/kWh.
Kurtis McIntosh

Homework Statement

A constant current of 3A for 4 hours is required to charge an automotive battery. If the terminal voltage is 10 + 1/2 t V, where t is in hours,

(a) how much charge is transported as a result of the charging?
(b) how much energy is expended?
(c) how much does the charging cost? Assume electricity costs 9 cents/kWh.

Homework Equations

P = IV
q = dI/dt
P = dW/dt

The Attempt at a Solution

I originally thought I would need to convert the time into seconds to figure out the charge transported when solving for charge using an integral, the answer turned out to be right. However my problem comes to part b, and indirectly, c. When I was solving for work, I took the integral of power. I thought I needed to convert the voltage equation in terms of seconds so that's what I did. My answer was quite a ways off. Any help is appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you show your calculation details?

gneill said:
Can you show your calculation details?
I'll try as best as I can using a computer.
(A) q(t) = int(3 dt) from 0 - 14400 s.
q(t) = 3t| from 0 - 14400 s
q(t) = 43.2 kC

(B) V = (10 + 1/2t) x (60 min/hr) x (60 sec/min) = 36000 + 1800t
P = IV = 3(36000 + 1800t) = 5400t + 108000
W = int(5400t + 108000 dt) from 0 - 14400s
W = 5.614e11 J.

The correct answer to part B should be 475.2 kJ

Okay, your answer for part (a) looks good.

Kurtis McIntosh said:
(B) V = (10 + 1/2t) x (60 min/hr) x (60 sec/min) = 36000 + 1800t
Note that the time conversion should not apply to the constant 10V term!. t is associated with only one term in the terminal voltage expression.

gneill said:
Okay, your answer for part (a) looks good.Note that the time conversion should not apply to the constant 10V term!. t is associated with only one term in the terminal voltage expression.

Ah I see, but where would I go from there? I feel like I'm still missing something since when using a similar form to the integral I have set up above. I still get answers that are to the 11th power of 10 versus where they should be around the 5th power of 10.

Do the integration using "4" as the upper limit for time. The result will be in V*A*hr (Volt Amp Hours):

##\int_0^4 (10 + \frac{1}{2} t) dt =~ ... VAhr##

You can do this because you're told that in the expression for the terminal voltage the time is specified in hours.

You can convert the resulting V*A*hr to V*A*sec afterwards.

Likes Kurtis McIntosh
gneill said:
Do the integration using "4" as the upper limit for time. The result will be in V*A*hr (Volt Amp Hours):

##\int_0^4 (10 + \frac{1}{2} t) dt =~ ... VAhr##

You can do this because you're told that in the expression for the terminal voltage the time is specified in hours.

You can convert the resulting V*A*hr to V*A*sec afterwards.

Oh okay! I never thought of work as Volt*Amps*Second. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Kurtis McIntosh said:
q = dI/dt

I think you've noticed this isn't right?

Likes gneill
NascentOxygen said:
Gaaah! I should have spotted that! Thanks for catching that. :smile:

NascentOxygen said:

That was a mistake haha. I know it should be I = dq/dt. My brain was just moving too quick for my fingers to comprehend and type the information!

Related to Circuits Question -- Charging a car battery in 4 hours....

1. How long does it take to charge a car battery?

It typically takes 4-6 hours to charge a car battery, depending on the size and condition of the battery.

2. Can I charge my car battery in less than 4 hours?

It is not recommended to charge a car battery in less than 4 hours, as this can potentially damage the battery and reduce its lifespan.

3. What type of charger should I use to charge a car battery in 4 hours?

You should use a battery charger specifically designed for car batteries and capable of delivering a high enough amperage to charge the battery in 4 hours.

4. How do I know when my car battery is fully charged?

You can use a voltmeter to check the voltage of the battery. Once it reaches around 12.6 volts, it is considered fully charged.

5. Can I leave my car battery charging overnight?

It is not recommended to leave a car battery charging overnight, as this can overcharge the battery and potentially cause damage. It is best to monitor the charging process and unplug the charger once the battery is fully charged.