Circular motion jet fighter problem

In summary, the jet fighter pilot flying at mach 3 vertically down can withstand a maximum acceleration of 9g before blacking out. The maximum acceleration occurs at the bottom of the loop and the minimum radius he can take is 13.5 km. The force on the pilot is equal to the normal force, which is balanced by the force of gravity and the force of thrust that keeps the plane moving in a circular motion. The concepts of centrifugal and centripetal forces can be confusing, but understanding that they are just different perspectives of the same force can help clarify their roles in circular motion.
bcjochim07

Homework Statement

A jet fighter pilot flies at mach 3 vertically down and intends to pull up in a circular maneuver before crashing in the ground. He knows that he is able to withstand an acceleration of 9g before blacking out.

a) Where does the max. acceleration occur in the maneuver?

b) What is the minimum radius that he can take?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm going to work in polar coordinates.

So the Fnet=mv^2/r = N-mgsin(theta), so the max. acceleration would occur at the bottom of the loop. That being said, I'm having a bit of a difficult time picturing which way the normal force points when the pilot is say somewhere in between his point of entering the loop and the bottom of the loop. So, when I try to draw a FBD, I get a little confused. Anway, here's what I did:

The force on the person is N, so

N=mgsin(theta)+mv^2/r = 9mg and at the bottom of the loop theta =90

then v^2/r = 9g v = 343 m/s * 3 = 1029

so r = 13.5 km --- Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I guess it's a subtle distinction between the force on the plane and the force on the person. So, in order for the plane to be moving in a circle, it's net force must also be mv^2/r, only there is no normal force. There must be a force of thrust? I guess I'm again falling into confusion about the elusive "centrifugal" and "centripetal" forces. Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks.

In response to the content, I would say that the solution provided is correct. The maximum acceleration would occur at the bottom of the loop when the pilot is experiencing both the downward force of gravity and the centripetal force required for circular motion. The minimum radius that the pilot can take would be 13.5 km, which means that the pilot would have to pull up at a minimum of 13.5 km above the ground to avoid crashing. It is important for the pilot to know their limits and be able to withstand the 9g acceleration in order to successfully complete the maneuver without blacking out.

1. What is circular motion in the context of a jet fighter?

Circular motion in the context of a jet fighter refers to the motion of the aircraft as it moves along a circular path in the sky. This can occur during maneuvers such as a barrel roll or a loop.

2. How does circular motion affect the pilot and the jet fighter?

Circular motion can have several effects on the pilot and the jet fighter. The pilot may experience increased G-forces and may need to make adjustments to maintain control of the aircraft. The jet fighter itself may experience structural stress and may need to be designed to withstand the forces of circular motion.

3. What factors influence the radius of the circular path in circular motion?

The radius of the circular path in circular motion is influenced by the speed of the jet fighter, the angle of the wings, and the amount of thrust being generated by the engines. Other factors such as air density and wind can also play a role.

4. How does circular motion differ from straight-line motion in terms of forces acting on the jet fighter?

In circular motion, there is a centripetal force acting on the jet fighter, pulling it towards the center of the circular path. This force is perpendicular to the direction of motion and is responsible for keeping the jet fighter on its circular path. In straight-line motion, there is no centripetal force, but there may be other forces such as thrust and drag acting on the aircraft.

5. What are the challenges of performing circular motion in a jet fighter?

The challenges of performing circular motion in a jet fighter include maintaining control of the aircraft while experiencing increased G-forces, managing fuel consumption, and ensuring the structural integrity of the jet fighter. Pilots must also be highly skilled and trained to perform these maneuvers safely and effectively.