Circular Motion - Newton's Laws in different reference frames

In summary, a child standing on a rotating roundabout will experience different forces and perceive their motion differently depending on their frame of reference. In the inertial reference frame, the child's motion will appear as a spiral, with centripetal and tangential forces acting on them due to friction. In the rotating frame, the child will perceive their motion as a straight line, but will still need to exert a frictional force in order to maintain their constant speed. This introduces the need for fictitious forces, such as the Coriolis and centrifugal forces, to explain the motion in this reference frame. The centripetal acceleration will change as the child moves towards the edge, increasing as their velocity increases. The paradox of needing a
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

A child stands near the middle of a roundabout that is rotating with some angular velocity w. The child moves towards the edge of the roundabout in a straight line from the child's perspective and at constant speed. Explain in as much detail as you can (and using equations) the motion of the child from both the child's perspective and the inertial reference frame. Use Newton's Laws in both cases and comment on the need to introduce fictitious forces in the rotating reference frame.

Homework Equations

a = v^2/r F = mv^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

Inertial reference frame - sees child's motion as a spiral. Forces would be centripetal force and a tangential force both of which are friction. As the child steps further out their speed must increase because all points along the line they walk must complete a cycle in the same time so the further out you go the bigger the circumference and the higher the speed needs to be. This is provided by a frictional force as they step further out which acts along the tangent. The centripetal force is also fraction towards the centre.

Rotating frame - child sees they are walking in a straight line. Must still exert a frictional force tangent to the path as they move out and towards the centre the whole time. Newton's laws fail here because the child is walking in a straight line at constant speed yet has to exert two resultant forces in order to do this. Coriolis and centrifugal forces must be introduced otherwise Newton's laws would fail.

Bits I am stuck with:
How does the centripetal acceleration change as you go near the edge? At first I though that since the velocity is increasing then so must the centripetal acceleration but the radius is not constant so I am unsure how exactly the centripetal force changes. The radius increases which would decrease the centripetal acceleration but the velocity is increasing.

Something also seems paradoxical to me so I must be missing something. If you are near the middle of a roundabout then to walk to the edge you must have a resultant force towards the edge otherwise you couldn't move. However, the roundabout is constantly in motion so the resultant force must always be to the centre? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Jimmy87 said:
Bits I am stuck with:
How does the centripetal acceleration change as you go near the edge? At first I though that since the velocity is increasing then so must the centripetal acceleration but the radius is not constant so I am unsure how exactly the centripetal force changes. The radius increases which would decrease the centripetal acceleration but the velocity is increasing.

Something also seems paradoxical to me so I must be missing something. If you are near the middle of a roundabout then to walk to the edge you must have a resultant force towards the edge otherwise you couldn't move. However, the roundabout is constantly in motion so the resultant force must always be to the centre? What am I missing?
You have an equation for the centripetal force, but it involves v and r which are varying. Perhaps if you used a different formula which had only one of these varying quantities, that would help. Hint: what variable stays constant while the child stays on the same radius (or diameter?) (The roundabout is rotating.)

When you walk downhill, which way do you apply force?

Likes Jimmy87
Merlin3189 said:
You have an equation for the centripetal force, but it involves v and r which are varying. Perhaps if you used a different formula which had only one of these varying quantities, that would help. Hint: what variable stays constant while the child stays on the same radius (or diameter?) (The roundabout is rotating.)

When you walk downhill, which way do you apply force?

Thanks. I'm not sure which equation I could use? If you walk downhill you apply a force uphill. If your walking radially outwards you would apply a force of friction radially inwards onto the floor, the floor would push back and provide a resultant force radially outwards onto you. This is why I'm confused. The centripetal force is radially inwards exerted on the person and it is there all the time. How can you get a radially outward resultant force on the person (which you need to walk radially outward) when, to go round in a circle, you always have to have a radially inward resultant force.

Equation: you quote ## F = \frac {mv^2} {r} ## but both v and r change as they walk out along the radius.
Do you know formulae in terms of the angular velocity, ω ?
AngularMeasure.png
HillAnalogy.png

If you don't already know the formula, just substitute rω for v in your equation.
On a spinning disc, points along the radius have different speeds, but they all move through the same angle in the same time, so they have the same angular speed ω. So you can get F as a function of r and you can see how the force varies with r.

Centripetal force: At any point except the centre, you need to provide a centripetal force towards the centre to stay in the same place on the disc.
If you stood on top of a dome, similar conditions apply. Considering only the radial force component, not any vertical component, you need no radial force to stand on the top. At any other point you need to provide a centripetal force to stop yourself sliding outward (and downward).
If you want to move radially outwards on the dome (down the slope) what would you need to do to move at constant speed?

NB. There are differences. On the dome the radial force will not vary in the same way. On the rotating disc, as well as the vertical and radial forces, you may need to consider other directions.

This appears to be a question to make you think, rather than calculate values, so I'm trying not to tell you what to think. I suggest angular measure as a solution to your problem about understanding a formula where two quantities vary at once. I suggest the dome as an analogy to help you see how it might feel. You need to explain your ideas about the original problem and we can point out any errors and limitations to help you develop them.

Jimmy87 said:
... If you walk downhill you apply a force uphill...
So why do you move in the opposite direction to that force?

If I stand still on the side of a hill, I need to apply a certain force uphill just to stay still. What do I do now to make myself move downhill?
If your walking radially outwards you would apply a force of friction radially inwards onto the floor, the floor would push back and provide a resultant force radially outwards onto you. This is why I'm confused. The centripetal force is radially inwards exerted on the person and it is there all the time. How can you get a radially outward resultant force on the person (which you need to walk radially outward) when, to go round in a circle, you always have to have a radially inward resultant force.
Think about the size of the force.
In many situations there are several forces acting on a body. What happens depends on the balance of forces or the resultant force. Standing on the floor, gravity is pulling me down and the floor is pushing me up (I hope!). If they are equal, there is no resultant and I stay where I am. If I want to jump up, I must push harder on the floor, so that it will push harder on me (Newton 3rd). Then it will be a greater force than gravity, the resultant will be up and I will rise (for a very brief moment until my feet are no longer pushing on the floor.) I could also lower my CG by pushing less hard on the floor (relaxing leg muscles) so that gravity is winning for a moment and I slump to the floor.

1. What is circular motion and how does it relate to Newton's Laws?

Circular motion is when an object moves in a circular path around a central point. This motion can be described using Newton's Laws of Motion, specifically the first law which states that an object will remain in motion with constant speed and direction unless acted upon by an external force. The second law, which states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the force applied and inversely proportional to its mass, can also be applied to circular motion.

2. How does circular motion change in different reference frames?

In circular motion, the object's speed and direction are constantly changing. However, this change can be observed differently in different reference frames. For example, an observer on the ground may see a car moving in a circular path, but an observer in a helicopter may see the car moving in a straight line with a changing velocity. This is because different reference frames have different points of view and perspectives on the motion.

3. Can Newton's Laws be applied to circular motion in non-inertial reference frames?

Yes, Newton's Laws can still be applied to circular motion in non-inertial reference frames, but additional forces, such as centrifugal and Coriolis forces, may need to be taken into account. These forces arise due to the fact that non-inertial reference frames are accelerating or rotating, and they can affect the motion of objects within them.

4. How does the centripetal force relate to circular motion?

The centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. This force acts towards the center of the circle and is necessary to maintain the object's constant speed and direction. In circular motion, this force is provided by the tension in a string, the normal force from a surface, or the force of gravity, depending on the situation.

5. Can Newton's Laws be used to calculate the motion of objects in circular orbits?

Yes, Newton's Laws can be used to calculate the motion of objects in circular orbits, such as planets around the sun or satellites around the Earth. In these cases, the gravitational force between the two objects provides the necessary centripetal force to keep the object in its circular path. By applying Newton's Laws, scientists can accurately predict and calculate the motion of these objects in their orbits.