Circular Motion Problem: Child swinging on a rope

In summary, a curious child finds a 14.0m rope hanging vertically from the ceiling of a large storage hangar and starts running in a circle with a radius of 7.0m. The child is about to lose contact with the floor and the question is asking for the child's speed at that time. To solve this problem, the first step is to draw a free body diagram and identify the forces in balance at the moment the child is about to lose contact with the floor. From there, the equations Fc=mv^2/r and a=v^2/r can be used to find the child's speed, which is approximately 3.8m/s.
Mohammed S

Homework Statement

A curious child finds a rope hanging vertically from the ceiling of a large storage hangar. The child grabs the rope and starts running in a circle. The length of the rope is 14.0m. When the child runs in a circle of radius 7.0m, the child is about to lose contact with the floor. How fast is the child running at that time?

Homework Equations

Fc=mv^2/r
a=v^2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried finding the Fx of the length so 14cos(78.46)
I found the angle by doing SOH CAH TOA since the rope length and radius are in an angle
Anyways i heard v=radical rg but idk if its relevant
Then I got stuck

Physics news on Phys.org
Mohammed S said:
I found the angle by doing SOH CAH TOA since the rope length and radius are in an angle
Can you show us in detail how you found that angle? What angle is it?
Mohammed S said:
I tried finding the Fx of the length so 14cos(78.46)
Did you draw a free body diagram (FBD) for the child? (can you show it to us?) What does "Fx of the length" mean?

What forces must be in balance for the child to just lose contact with the floor?

Likes Mohammed S
gneill said:
Can you show us in detail how you found that angle? What angle is it?

Did you draw a free body diagram (FBD) for the child? (can you show it to us?) What does "Fx of the length" mean?

What forces must be in balance for the child to just lose contact with the floor?
So I attached an image of how to solve this, took me a while to solve but finally got it. Just plug in the values to find V and it's done! Thanks for helping tho!

Attachments

• IMG_0254.JPG
    IMG_0254.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 295

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion in which an object moves along a circular path with a constant speed. The direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, but the magnitude of its velocity remains constant.

2. What is the centripetal force in this problem?

The centripetal force in this problem is the force that keeps the child moving in a circular path. It is directed towards the center of the circle and is provided by the tension in the rope.

3. How does the radius of the circle affect the child's speed?

According to the equation for centripetal force (F=mv^2/r), as the radius of the circle decreases, the speed of the child will increase in order to maintain the same centripetal force. Conversely, if the radius increases, the speed will decrease.

4. What factors affect the tension in the rope?

The tension in the rope is affected by the mass of the child, the child's speed, and the radius of the circle. Increasing any of these factors will increase the tension in the rope.

5. How does the child's weight affect the circular motion problem?

The child's weight does not directly affect the circular motion problem. However, the weight does contribute to the child's mass, which in turn affects the centripetal force and the tension in the rope.