Circular Polarization of Wave

In summary: Here, ##\phi## is definitely not a function of time. In summary, A wave on a string with horizontal and vertical components of equal amplitude and 90 degrees out of phase will cause the string to move in a circle around the z-axis. This can be shown by expressing the wave in cylindrical coordinates and using the phase of the wave, ##\phi = kz-\omega t##, to find the field at the origin.
cpburris
Gold Member

Homework Statement

The horizontal component of a wave is in the y-direction, and the vertical component is in the x-direction. If the horizontal and vertical components of a wave on a string have the same amplitude and are 90 degrees out of phase (say δv=0 and δh= 90°). At a fixed point z, show that the string moves in a circle around the z-axis.

Homework Equations

ƒ[/B]i(z,t)=A Cos(kz-ωt+δi)

The Attempt at a Solution

First of all, don't tell me ƒv2h2=A2 therefore it is a circle. I know that, and I don't like it. If that is the ONLY way to solve the problem so be it, but I think I can do it a different way.

I think I should be able to express ƒ in cylindrical coordinates, ƒ=s(t)s+φ(t)φ where s and φ are the s and φ unit vectors, and show that s(t) = constant and that φ(t)≠constant and φ(t) has range s.t. φ(t)max≥2π (i.e. will go around a full circle, not do some silly oscillation between 0 and π or something. That wouldn't really make any physical sense I don't think, but I think it is necessary for the proof.).

So here we go with my attempt(forgive my notation, hopefully you can make sense of it, if not let me know and ill do everything proper) :

f_v=A Cos(kz-wt) x_unitvect.
f_h=A Cos(kz-wt+π/2) y_unitvect. = - A Sin(kz-wt) y_unitvect.

f=f_v+f_h= A [Cos(kz-wt) x_unitvect. - Sin(kz-wt) y_unitvect.]

Converting to cylindrical:

f= A [Cos(kz-wt) Cos(φ) - Sin(kz-wt) Sin(φ)] s_unitvect. - A[Cos(kz-wt)Sin(φ)+Sin(kz-wt)Cost(φ)] φ_unitvect.
Using Cos/Sin (A±B) Trig Identities:
f= A Cos[kz-wt+φ] s_unitvect. - A Sin[kz-wt+φ] φ_unitvect.
If φ= wt (?), Then reduces to
f= A Cos[kz] s_unitvect. - A Sin[kz] φ_unitvect.
which would make both time independent. Yikes.

Physics news on Phys.org
cpburris said:
First of all, don't tell me ƒv2+ƒh2=A2 therefore it is a circle.
First of all, I will tell you ƒv2h2=A2 therefore it is a circle.
Using our intuition, the field at any instant of time is radial, i.e. for all times the resultant E field must only has ##\hat{s}## component and ##\hat{\phi}##, only that the direction is changing. But your last equation shows otherwise, it has ##\hat{\phi}## component.
What you did above is actually finding the field vector at a point different from the origin and the coordinate of this point is given by the angle ##\phi##. This means, ##\phi## must be fixed, it cannot be a function of time as you have assumed.
However, if you want to describe the time dependent of the field vector at the origin, you have to be careful because the angle ##\phi## associated with the origin is not defined. In this case, the phase of the wave itself becomes ##\phi##, namely ##\phi = kz-\omega t##.

Last edited:
blue_leaf77 said:
First of all, I will tell you ƒv2h2=A2 therefore it is a circle.
Using our intuition, the field at any instant of time is radial, i.e. for all times the resultant E field must only has ##\hat{s}## component and ##\hat{\phi}##, only that the direction is changing. But your last equation shows otherwise, it has ##\hat{\phi}## component.
What you did above is actually finding the field vector at a point different from the origin and the coordinate of this point is given by the angle ##\phi##. This means, ##\phi## must be fixed, it cannot be a function of time as you have assumed.
However, if you want to describe the time dependent of the field vector at the origin, you have to be careful because the angle ##\phi## associated with the origin is not defined. In this case, the phase of the wave itself becomes ##\phi##, namely ##\phi = kz-\omega t##.

Hm. I don't understand your point about the field. This is a wave on a string, created by a driving force (someone just moving the end of the string). What is the field?

P.S. I think I may sound slightly combative, especially with the whole "Don't tell me" thing, I was just very frustrated and in my mood I was perhaps overly...blunt. I want to apologize for that.

cpburris said:
Hm. I don't understand your point about the field. This is a wave on a string, created by a driving force (someone just moving the end of the string). What is the field?
Ah I completely forgot that your problem concerns a string, then in this case the last two lines of my previous post applies, namely ##\phi=kz-\omega t##. Taking this into account, your steps:
cpburris said:
Converting to cylindrical:

f= A [Cos(kz-wt) Cos(φ) - Sin(kz-wt) Sin(φ)] s_unitvect. - A[Cos(kz-wt)Sin(φ)+Sin(kz-wt)Cost(φ)] φ_unitvect.
Using Cos/Sin (A±B) Trig Identities:
f= A Cos[kz-wt+φ] s_unitvect. - A Sin[kz-wt+φ] φ_unitvect.
If φ= wt (?), Then reduces to
f= A Cos[kz] s_unitvect. - A Sin[kz] φ_unitvect.
which would make both time independent. Yikes.
become unnecessary (in fact, it's misleading).
Instead, you should directly substitute the above relation for ##\phi## in
cpburris said:
f=f_v+f_h= A [Cos(kz-wt) x_unitvect. - Sin(kz-wt) y_unitvect.]

1. What is circular polarization?

Circular polarization is a type of polarization in which the electric field of a wave rotates in a circular motion as the wave propagates through space. This means that the direction of the electric field changes continuously along the path of the wave, forming a helix.

2. How is circular polarization different from linear polarization?

In linear polarization, the electric field of a wave oscillates in a straight line. This can be either horizontally or vertically oriented. In circular polarization, the electric field rotates in a circular motion, which is a combination of both horizontal and vertical components. This makes circularly polarized waves more complex than linearly polarized waves.

3. What causes circular polarization?

Circular polarization can be created by passing linearly polarized light through a special type of material called a quarter-wave plate. This material has the ability to convert linearly polarized light into circularly polarized light. Additionally, some natural sources, such as certain types of crystals, can emit circularly polarized light directly.

4. How is circular polarization used in everyday life?

Circular polarization has many practical applications, such as in 3D glasses for viewing movies or images, where one lens is circularly polarized and the other is linearly polarized. It is also used in satellite communication systems to reduce interference from other signals. Additionally, circularly polarized light is used in some medical imaging techniques, such as circularly polarized fluorescence microscopy, to enhance contrast and image resolution.

5. Can circular polarization be harmful to humans?

No, circular polarization is not harmful to humans. It is a natural phenomenon that is commonly found in nature and is also artificially created for various purposes. It is a type of electromagnetic radiation, which is a non-ionizing form of radiation that does not have enough energy to break chemical bonds and cause harm to living tissue.