Optics - right handed circular polarization

In summary, the conversation discusses finding an expression for a right-handed circularly polarized light wave traveling in the positive Z direction, with the electric field pointing in the negative X direction at z=0, t=0. The equation for this is given as E(z,t) = -E0 cos(kz-wt)i - E0y sin(kz-wt)j, where E0 is the amplitude of the electric field and kz represents the direction of propagation. The conversation also touches on the direction of rotation and the direction of the electric field at different points on the wave.
DataGG
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Write an expression for a light wave circular polarized to the right, traveling in the positive ZZ direction, such that the electric field points in the negative XX direction at z=0, t=0.

Homework Equations

Right handed polarization is the same as clockwise, I think..

##E_{0x} = E_{0y}## throughout the whole thing.

$$\vec{E}(z,t)=E_{0x}sin(kz - wt)\vec{i} + E_{0y}sin(kz - wt + \frac{\pi}{2})\vec{j}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, I'm having a problem.

$$\vec{E}(z,t)=E_{0x}cos(kz - wt)\vec{i} + E_{0y}sin(kz - wt)\vec{j}$$

At ##z=0##, we have

$$\vec{E}(0,t)=E_{0x}cos(wt)\vec{i} - E_{0y}sin(wt)\vec{j}$$

So it indeed moves clockwise (co-sine decreases while the sin increases negatively)

At ##z=0## and ##t=0##:

$$\vec{E}(0,0)=E_{0x}\vec{i}$$ Which does not point in the negative XX direction.

If I place a minus in the co-sine term, then it'll look like this:

$$\vec{E}(0,t)= - E_{0x}cos(wt)\vec{i} - E_{0y}sin(wt)\vec{j}$$

and that means that the co-sine will decrease negatively and the sin increase negatively. That would be a left handed circular polarization, because it would be counter-clockwise. I think?

So, how do I go about doing this?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think I solved my problem. No idea how I didn't see this sooner. Well, I actually did, but I dismissed it for some reason..

I think the following equation satisfies everything:

$$\vec{E}(z,t)=-E_{0}cos(kz - wt)\vec{i} - E_{0y}sin(kz - wt)\vec{j}$$

Would someone please confirm?

Last edited:
Can anyone confirm it? Is it correct?

While optics is a bit out of my realm, it looks as though what you have will definitely rotate clockwise. If you're not sure you can check the direction of the derivative at a point on the unit circle. If you want the direction it's pointing in check the direction of your function at that point.

Just a quick question, if you have E(z,t), why are you setting kx = 0 at E(0,t) ?
Should that be kz instead?

Likes 1 person
BiGyElLoWhAt said:
While optics is a bit out of my realm, it looks as though what you have will definitely rotate clockwise. If you're not sure you can check the direction of the derivative at a point on the unit circle. If you want the direction it's pointing in check the direction of your function at that point.

Just a quick question, if you have E(z,t), why are you setting kx = 0 at E(0,t) ?
Should that be kz instead?

Oh yes, that's definitely a typo. Where it reads ##kx## it should be ##kz##. Thanks for the heads-up, will edit right away!

1. What is right handed circular polarization?

Right handed circular polarization is a type of light polarization where the electric field vector of the light waves rotates in a clockwise direction as the light propagates. This is in contrast to left handed circular polarization, where the electric field vector rotates in a counterclockwise direction.

2. How is right handed circular polarization created?

Right handed circular polarization can be created by passing linearly polarized light through a quarter-wave plate or by using certain types of crystals that have a natural birefringence. It can also be generated by using a specialized polarizing filter.

3. What are the applications of right handed circular polarization?

Right handed circular polarization has many practical applications, such as in 3D movie technology, optical communication systems, and in optical microscopy for enhancing contrast and reducing glare. It is also used in some types of 3D glasses and in laser projection systems.

4. How does right handed circular polarization differ from linear polarization?

In linear polarization, the electric field vector of light is confined to a single plane, whereas in circular polarization, the electric field vector rotates in a circular motion. Additionally, linearly polarized light can be thought of as a superposition of two perpendicular circularly polarized waves with equal amplitudes and opposite phases.

5. Can right handed circular polarization be converted to left handed circular polarization?

Yes, right handed circular polarization can be converted to left handed circular polarization and vice versa by using a quarter-wave plate. This device can also convert circularly polarized light into linearly polarized light with a specific orientation.