Citing the Same Reference with Different Page Numbers?

In summary, the conversation is about citing sources in a paper for a physics class in APS style. The person is unsure about how to cite different pages from the same source and asks if they should repeat the citation or use "ibid." The other person suggests combining the pages into one reference and repeating the citation. They also provide a resource for using LaTeX to cite specific pages.
kq6up
I am not certain this is the best place to post this, but not sure General Physics would have been appropriate either. Feel free to move this.

I am writing a paper for a quantum physics class, and the professor wants the paper to be in the APS (Physical Review) style. I looked through their style documentation and did not find advice on what I should do if I wanted to cite different pages from the same source in my paper. For example, I want to cite page 8-11 and page 9-2 of the Feynman lectures vol III, but there are other references in between. If I used the same \cite{blabla} after other citations, my numbers are out of order (and according to their style guide that is a no no). Should I just cite the same source again with different page references? Ibid would not work here because there would be another reference in between in the biblio section.

You might ask me why I don't just email the professor. The quick answer is he rarely responds to his emails, so I post here and get a sure response in a timely manor.

Thanks,
KQ6UP

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know the answer with certainty, but I'll share with you what I have generally seen in case you run out of time or if others are not able to answer:

I don't normally see people separating the same reference into two based on the pages as exampled.1,2 What I have seen is the two combined into a single reference and repeat use of the citation.3

1. F. Lastname, "Title 1", Some Paper, Vol. 1(1), pp. 1-10 (1945).
2. F. Lastname, "Title 1", Some Paper, Vol. 1(1), pp. 12-15 (1945).
3. F. Lastname, "Title 1", Some Paper, Vol. 1(1), pp. 1-15 (1945).

Just note that I am using a very generic format and making arbitrary components. My basis is from reading many papers in my research projects, and I use to be an assistant for a technical writer. Luckily, your project is for a class and the paper won't be rejected, but this also makes sense because your suggestion - in my eyes - is the equivalent of making a new reference for every page in a more extreme/exaggerated case.

I hope this helps, and I look forward to insight from others.

Likes kq6up

Related to Citing the Same Reference with Different Page Numbers?

1. How do I cite the same reference with different page numbers in my research paper?

Citing the same reference with different page numbers is known as a "parenthetical reference" or "in-text citation." It involves including the author's last name and the page number(s) of the specific information you are referencing within parentheses at the end of the sentence or paragraph.

2. Do I need to include the full citation for the reference each time I use different page numbers?

No, you do not need to repeat the full citation for the same reference each time you use different page numbers. Simply include the author's last name and the new page number(s) in the parentheses after the sentence or paragraph.

3. What if I have multiple sources with the same author and year, but different page numbers?

In this case, you can differentiate between the sources by including a lowercase letter after the year in the in-text citation. For example: (Smith, 2018a) and (Smith, 2018b).

4. Can I use the abbreviation "ibid." when citing the same reference with different page numbers?

Yes, "ibid." (short for ibidem, meaning "in the same place") can be used when citing the same reference with different page numbers, as long as it is the immediate preceding citation in your paper.

5. Is there a specific format for citing the same reference with different page numbers?

Yes, the format for citing the same reference with different page numbers is as follows: (Author's Last Name, Year, p. Page Number).