Clamped-clamped beam load deflection with residual stress

In summary, the conversation discusses a system consisting of a clamped-clamped beam with a residual stress and the search for an equation that accurately models its deflection due to a point force. The formula (d = (F*L^3)/(192*E*I)) does not accurately model the measured displacement of the beam. The question is whether there is a formula that includes residual film stress or if there is a tutorial available for deriving such a formula. The background of the person asking the question is also mentioned, and there is a discussion about modeling the residual stress either as a UDL or an axial force. Finally, there are some questions asked about the pattern of the residual stress and the type of deflection theory being used.
mike_oh
Hello,
I have a system that consists of a clamped-clamped beam with a residual stress and am trying to find an equation that governs its deflection due to a point force that takes stress into consideration. A formula I have come across:

d = (F*L^3)/(192*E*I)

does not accurately model the measured displacement of the beam.

d : maximum central deflection (m)
F : magnitude of applied point force (N)
L : length of the beam (m)
E : Young's modulus (Pa)
I : moment = (w*t^3)/12 (m^4)

Is there a formula that includes residual film stress as well? Or is there a good tutorial available for deriving such a formula?
As a word of warning, I do not have a strong background in mechanics, so I apologize if I overlooked something simple.
Thank you in advance for you help!

Engineering news on Phys.org
It depends on how you model the residual stress, are you modeling it like a UDL on one side of the beam or like a compressive/tensile force along its axis?

Thank you for your response! I have been modeling it as an axial force, but perhaps that is the cause of some of my trouble? Do you recommend modeling it as a UDL?
In that case, can I just subtract the force due to stress from the applied force and use that net force quantity in the equation in my original post?

Does anybody have any ideas about this?
Thanks again in advance.

mike_oh: What is the pattern of your residual stress? Is it a uniform axial stress, due to an axial force? If so, is it uniform axial tensile stress, or uniform axial compressive stress? What causes it? Is this small deflection theory, or large deflection theory? Is this a school assignment?

1. What is a clamped-clamped beam?

A clamped-clamped beam is a type of beam that is supported at both ends and cannot move or rotate at those points. This means that the beam is fixed in place and can only deflect in the middle section.

2. What is load deflection?

Load deflection is the amount of bending or deformation that occurs in a beam when a load or force is applied to it. This can be measured as the distance between the original position of the beam and its deflected position.

3. How does residual stress affect clamped-clamped beam load deflection?

Residual stress refers to the internal stresses that remain in a material even after all external forces have been removed. This can affect the load deflection of a clamped-clamped beam by causing it to deflect more or less than expected, depending on the direction and magnitude of the residual stress.

4. How is clamped-clamped beam load deflection with residual stress calculated?

Clamped-clamped beam load deflection with residual stress can be calculated using various equations that take into account the material properties, beam dimensions, and applied load. These equations can be found in engineering handbooks or can be solved using numerical methods.

5. Why is understanding clamped-clamped beam load deflection with residual stress important?

Understanding clamped-clamped beam load deflection with residual stress is important in engineering and structural design. It allows engineers to accurately predict the behavior of beams under different loading conditions and ensures that structures are designed to withstand these forces without failure. It also helps in selecting appropriate materials and designing efficient structures.