Classical electrodynamics -Good conductor

In summary: But when I tried to solve for \omega I got an infinity. Is there a way to obtain the frequency for a particular value of \omega?
cowrebellion

Homework Statement

The question given is an electromagnetic wave incident on a vacuum metal interface. The wave is incident normally. We're given that the metal is a good conductor i.e. [tex]\omega \tau <<1 [/tex] where [tex]\tau[/tex] is the collision time of the metal and omega is the angular frequency. The metal is also non-magnetic and the conductivity is of the order of [tex] 10^8 [/tex] Siemens per metre

The first part is easy enough it's just to show that T the transmissivity is equal to 2/n where n is the real part of N the refractive index.

The part that has me stumped is to find the value of [tex]\omega[/tex] so that the fraction of incident power deposited beyond a depth d is maximised

Homework Equations

I think the relevant equation is the poynting vector.

I'm taking the time averaged poynting vector for a wave in vacuum as [tex] S_{avg} = \frac{1}{2} \sqrt{\frac{\epsilon}{\mu}} E_{i}^{2}[/tex] and inside the metal I assume the form[tex] S_{avg} = \frac{1}{4} \sigma_{0} \delta E_{t}^{2} e^{\frac{-2 z}{\delta}[/tex]

Where delta is given as[tex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{\mu \omega \sigma_{0}}}[/tex]

I'm also taking[tex]n=\frac{c}{\omega \delta}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I started by saying that since the time averaged poynting vectors is independent of x and y in both case we can say
[tex]\int S_{avg} dA=S_{avg} A[/tex]

Using this I divided the power incident on the surface by the power incident on hte same area but at a distance d below the surface to obtain[tex]\frac{\delta \sigma_{0}}{2}\sqrt{\frac{\mu}{\epsilon}}\frac{E_{t}}{E_{i}}\frac{E_{t}}{E_{i}}e^{\frac{-2 d}{\delta}}[/tex]but with this I differentiate w.r.t. omega and I can't obtain an answer? It's been bugging me for a while so I hope someone can help me out. Hope the format of the question is ok It's my first time posting here. =D

edit: I forgot to say that I replaced {E_{t}/E_{i}}^2 with 2/n I tried changing the latex code but it won't edit for some reason.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You have already assumed that the field decays exponentially on the scale of the skin depth

[tex]\delta=\sqrt{\frac{2}{\mu \omega \sigma_{0}}} [/tex]

But this already gives you the answer: to maximize power deposition beyond d, choose a frequency to make the skin depth greater than d.

That makes sense but the question asks for a specific value of the frequency. Initially I thought I'd obtain an equation of the form [tex]\omega e^{-\omega}[/tex] which has a definite maximum value.

1. What is classical electrodynamics?

Classical electrodynamics is a branch of physics that studies the interaction between electrically charged particles and the electromagnetic field.

2. What is a good conductor?

A good conductor is a material that allows electric current to flow through it with little resistance. This is due to the presence of free electrons that are able to move easily through the material.

3. How does classical electrodynamics apply to good conductors?

In classical electrodynamics, the behavior of electrically charged particles in good conductors is described by Maxwell's equations. These equations govern the propagation of electromagnetic waves and the behavior of electric and magnetic fields in conductive materials.

4. What are some examples of good conductors?

Copper, silver, gold, and aluminum are all examples of good conductors. These metals have a high number of free electrons, making them excellent conductors of electricity.

5. How do good conductors differ from insulators?

Good conductors have a high electrical conductivity, meaning that they allow electric current to flow easily. Insulators, on the other hand, have a low electrical conductivity and do not allow electric current to pass through them easily.