Classical mechanics exercise, pion decay

In summary, The pion initially has a rest mass energy equal to its rest mass, and no kinetic energy. When it decays, the total energy is still equal to the pion's rest mass energy, but now it is divided between the kinetic energy of the muon and the kinetic energy of the neutrino. Using conservation of energy and momentum, we can solve for the kinetic energy of the muon.
mr. bean

Homework Statement

If anyone could help me with this classical mechanics exercise I would be very grateful! The exercise is as follows:

The muon (μ) is a particle with mass mμ=207me, with me being the electron mass. The pion (∏) has a mass of m=273me. The pion can decay into a muon plus a massless neutrino, v, in the reaction  ∏ → μ + v. Find the kinetic energy of the muon when a pion decays at rest. Hint: Use conservation of both energy and momentum.

Homework Equations

The momentum conservation looks like this:

Pbefore=Pafter

Where the momentum is given by:

P=mμγ(u)

The energy conservation is:

Ekin, before=Ekin, after

The kinetic energy is given by:

Ekin=mc^2(γ(u)-1)

quantities we know:

mμ=207 me

m=273 me

mv=0

u=0 (the speed of the pion)

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried to write the equations, please correct me if I'm wrong:

Ekin, before = m c^2 (γ(u)-1)

Ekin, after = Ekin, μ + Ekin, v = mμ c^2 (γ(u)-1) + mv c^2 (γ(u)-1)

Pbefore=P=m u γ(u)=0

Pafter=Pμ+Pv=mμ uμ γ(u) + mv uv γ(u) = mμ uμ γ(u) + [itex]\frac{E}{c}[/itex] (because a massless particle can still have momentum)

Now I'm a bit stuck. What is the kinetic energy of the neutrino with zero mass, zero? How do I find the energy, E in the momentum expression, is that the kinetic energy? It seems to me that there are too many unknowns, but I'm pretty sure I'm wrong here!

If anyone could help me, I would I will be very grateful!
Thanks in advance.
mr. bean.

Physics news on Phys.org
The pion is initially at rest so the total energy is equal to the rest mass of the pion, there is not kinetic energy before so get rid of the γ. Start there and then imagine that when the particle decays in order to make it so that the total momentum is still zero the muon and the neutrino must travel in opposite directions with equal momentum. From this you can solve for E.

A few suggestions:
  1. Avoid using ##\gamma## and any velocities. It just makes the algebra more painful. Work only with energy, momentum, and mass instead. For example, the kinetic energy is given ##E-mc^2##.
  2. Use the relationship ##(mc^2)^2 = E^2 - (pc)^2##.
Your equation for conservation of energy is incorrect. Kinetic energy obviously is not conserved. Initially there is no kinetic energy because the pion is at rest whereas the muon and neutrino do have kinetic energy. It's total energy E that's conserved.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects and the forces acting on them. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton.

2. What is an exercise in classical mechanics?

An exercise in classical mechanics is a problem or scenario that requires the application of the principles and equations of classical mechanics to solve. It can involve calculating the motion of objects, forces acting on them, or energy transformations.

3. What is pion decay?

Pion decay is a type of radioactive decay in which a pion particle (a type of subatomic particle) breaks down into other particles. It is a process that occurs naturally in some atoms and is also used in particle accelerators to study the properties of subatomic particles.

4. How is classical mechanics used to study pion decay?

Classical mechanics is used to study pion decay by providing a framework for understanding the motion of particles involved in the decay process. This includes calculating the velocity and acceleration of the particles, as well as the forces acting on them.

5. Why is the study of pion decay important?

The study of pion decay is important because it provides valuable insights into the fundamental properties of matter and the laws that govern its behavior. It also has practical applications in fields such as nuclear physics and medical imaging.