Classical Mechanics Q: trajectory of q in B and E fields

In summary: Can somebody please help me?)In summary, the particle moves through the fields undeflected as long as its drift speed is less than the fields. However, if its drift speed is greater than the fields, it is deflected and the trajectory follows a curve.
lovelymusiclady
Hi all! I'm super lost on this homework question. I tried asking the professor but was kind of brushed to the side. My vector calculus knowledge is pretty limited (I had an unfortunately experience in that class). Anybody have any ideas on how to go about solving for this?

It's a problem out of Classical Mechanics-by Taylor, Chapter 2 Section 52.55 ***

A charged particle of mass m and positive charge q moves in uniform electric and magnetic fields,
E pointing in the y direction and B in the z direction (an arrangement called "crossed E and B
fields"). Suppose the particle is initially at the origin and is given a kick at time t= 0 along the x axis
with Vx = Vxo (positive or negative).
(a) Write down the equation of motion for the particle and resolve it into its three components. Show that the motion remains in the plane z =0.

(b) Prove that there is a unique value of Vxo, called the drift speed Vdr, for which the particle moves undeflected through the fields. (This is the basis of velocity selectors, which select particles traveling at one chosen speed from a beam with many different speeds.)

(c) Solve the equations of motion to give the particle's velocity as a function of t, for arbitrary values of
Vx0. [Hint: The equations for (Vx, Vy) should look very like Equations (2.68) except for an offset of Vx
by a constant. If you make a change of variables of the form Ux = Vx —Vdr
and Uy=Vy, the equations for (Ux, Uy) will have exactly the form (2.68), whose general solution you know.]
(attached is equation 2.68)

(d) Integrate the velocity to find the position as a function of t and sketch the trajectory for various values of Vxo

Attachments

• Screen shot 2016-02-02 at 6.37.23 PM.png
    Screen shot 2016-02-02 at 6.37.23 PM.png
    7 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Just divide the E and B apart, and then...use calculus, finally you may put them together again. (I'm afraid that calculus is necessary in this question.) (I'm just a CN high school student so I feel sorry that I have no idea of solving the problem.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion of macroscopic objects and how they interact with each other under the influence of forces. It is based on the laws of motion and gravitation developed by Sir Isaac Newton in the 17th century.

2. What is a trajectory?

A trajectory is the path that an object takes as it moves through space and time. In classical mechanics, it is described as a curve that represents the position of an object at different points in time.

3. How do B and E fields affect the trajectory of an object?

B and E fields, or magnetic and electric fields, can exert forces on a charged particle and cause its trajectory to change. The direction and magnitude of the force depend on the strength and direction of the fields, as well as the velocity and charge of the particle.

4. What is the equation for calculating the trajectory of an object in B and E fields?

The equation for calculating the trajectory of an object in B and E fields is known as the Lorentz force equation. It is given by F = q(E + v x B), where F is the force exerted on the particle, q is its charge, E is the electric field, v is the velocity of the particle, and B is the magnetic field.

5. Can classical mechanics accurately predict the trajectory of an object in B and E fields?

Yes, in most cases, classical mechanics can accurately predict the trajectory of an object in B and E fields. However, at very high speeds or in extremely small scales, the predictions may deviate from reality and require the use of more advanced theories such as quantum mechanics.