Classification of Second-Order PDE with Constant Coefficients

In summary, the conversation discusses three different equations, their classifications as elliptical, parabolic, and hyperbolic, and the need to find their characteristics. A characteristic is defined as a curve upon which the partial differential equation separates into two ordinary differential equations. The characteristics for each equation are determined by completing the square and the equations are associated with specific curves. The elliptical equation has no characteristics, the parabolic equation has one, and the hyperbolic equation has two.
kgal

Homework Statement

I have 3 equations:

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}+4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial t^2}-4\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x \partial t}+\frac{\partial^2 u}{\partial x^2}[/itex]

I know their classification (first one is elliptical, second one is parabolic, third one is hyperbolic).
I need to find their characteristics. How do I do that?
What is a characteristic?
I think that the one who is elliptical has no characteristic, the parabolic has only one and the hyperbolic has two.

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is true. But how could you know that (or what it means) if you don't know what a "characteristic" is?
A characteristic is a curve upon which the partial differential equation separates into two ordinary differential equations. For example, if I associate the last formula (These are NOT equations because there is no "=". Did you mean "= 0"?) with "[itex]T^2- 4TX+ X^2[/itex] then by "completing the square" I get [itex]T^2- 4TX+ 4X^2- 3X^2= (T- 2X)^2- (\sqrt{3}X)^2= (T- 2X+\sqrt{3}X)(T- 2X- \sqrt{3}X)[/itex]

So the "characteristics" are the curves [itex]t- (2-\sqrt{3})x= C[/itex] and [itex]t- (2+ \sqrt{3})x= C[/itex] for C any constant.

Similarly, for the parabolic equation, we can write [itex]T^2+ 4TX+ 4X^2=N (T+ 2X)^2[/itex] and so have the single characteristic [itex]t+ 2x= C[/itex].

Likes 1 person

What is the definition of a second-order PDE with constant coefficients?

A second-order partial differential equation (PDE) with constant coefficients is a mathematical equation that involves partial derivatives of a function of two or more variables. The coefficients in the equation are constants, meaning they do not depend on the variables in the equation.

What is the difference between a first-order PDE and a second-order PDE with constant coefficients?

The main difference between a first-order PDE and a second-order PDE with constant coefficients is the number of independent variables involved. A first-order PDE involves only one independent variable, while a second-order PDE involves two or more independent variables.

How are second-order PDEs with constant coefficients classified?

Second-order PDEs with constant coefficients are classified based on their characteristics, which include hyperbolic, parabolic, and elliptic. These classifications determine the type of boundary conditions and initial conditions that need to be specified for the equation to have a unique solution.

What are the most commonly used methods for solving second-order PDEs with constant coefficients?

The most commonly used methods for solving second-order PDEs with constant coefficients include the method of separation of variables, the method of characteristics, and the method of Green's functions. These methods rely on various mathematical techniques, such as Fourier transforms and eigenvalue problems, to find solutions to the PDEs.

What are some real-world applications of second-order PDEs with constant coefficients?

Second-order PDEs with constant coefficients have many applications in physics, engineering, and other fields. For example, they can be used to model heat conduction, wave propagation, and fluid flow. They are also important in solving boundary value problems and determining the behavior of physical systems.