Flux of a vector field through a surface

In summary, the given conversation discusses the parametrization of a surface and finding the normal vector for a given function. The original post contained an error in the sign of the second component of the normal vector, which was later corrected. It was suggested to not edit the original post to avoid confusion, but rather make a new post acknowledging the error and stating if the questions have been fully answered.
DottZakapa
Homework Statement
Consider the vector field F (x, y, z) = (0, z, y) and the surface Σ= (x,y,z)∈R^3 : x=2y^2z^2, 0≤y≤2, 0≤z≤1
oriented so that its normal vector forms an acute angle with the fundamental versor of the x–axis. Compute the flux of F through Σ.
Relevant Equations
flux of F through sigma
Given
##F (x, y, z) = (0, z, y)## and the surface ## \Sigma = (x,y,z)∈R^3 : x=2 y^2 z^2, 0≤y≤2, 0≤z≤1##

i have parametrised as follows

##\begin{cases}
x=2u^2v^2\\
y=u\\
z=v\\
\end{cases}##

now I find the normal vector in the following way

##\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
\frac {\partial x} {\partial u} & \frac {\partial y} {\partial u}& \frac {\partial z} {\partial u} \\
\frac {\partial x} {\partial v} & \frac {\partial y} {\partial v}& \frac {\partial z} {\partial v} \\
\end{vmatrix} =
\begin{vmatrix}
i & j & k \\
4uv^2 & 1 & 0 \\
4u^2v & 0 & 1\\
\end{vmatrix} = \vec i(1)-\vec j(4uv^2)+\vec k(- 4u^2v) ##

##\Rightarrow N(u,v) = (1,-4uv^2,- 4u^2v) ##

Is there anything wrong on the normal vectors signs? what having an acute angle with x translates in?
I don't understand why in the solution the second and third components have negative sign.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should double check your determinant computation.
DottZakapa said:
what having an acute angle with x translates in?
What is the cosine of an acute angle? How do you find the cosine between the x-direction and an arbitrary vector?

Orodruin said:
You should double check your determinant computation.
minus in front of ## j##

Orodruin said:
What is the cosine of an acute angle? How do you find the cosine between the x-direction and an arbitrary vector?
the cos has to be positive, ok so the ##\vec i## component must be positive, hence the normal vector satisfy the requirement.
correct?

vanhees71 said:
I don't see an error. I'm not sure, what @Orodruin is after...
OP has edited out the error (last edit at 12.01) after my post (made at 11.49). In the original post, the j component had the opposite sign, as indicated in #3 (where OP wrote the response inside the quotes of my post).

Likes vanhees71
DottZakapa said:
the cos has to be positive, ok so the ##\vec i## component must be positive, hence the normal vector satisfy the requirement.
correct?
Correct, you have also edited out the sign error from your original post, which should also mean that your question regarding the signs is resolved.

Please note that correcting errors by editing the original post can be very confusing to others reading the thread (as evidenced by @vanhees71 in post #5) and therefore generally should not be done. It is better to make a new post in the thread with the correction and also mentioning if your questions have been fully answered or if you still have doubts.

Orodruin said:
Correct, you have also edited out the sign error from your original post, which should also mean that your question regarding the signs is resolved.

Please note that correcting errors by editing the original post can be very confusing to others reading the thread (as evidenced by @vanhees71 in post #5) and therefore generally should not be done. It is better to make a new post in the thread with the correction and also mentioning if your questions have been fully answered or if you still have doubts.
yes, sorry about it, you are absolutely right.
Next time i'll do as you have correctly said.
Thank you, should i edit again the original post, restoring the wrong sign?

I usually correct typos and errors within the post but making an editorial note. I find this better than to make another posting, which may get not recognized by the readers of the thread and then leading to confusion.

What is flux of a vector field through a surface?

The flux of a vector field through a surface is a measure of the flow of the vector field through the surface. It represents the amount of the vector field that passes through the surface in a given direction.

How is flux of a vector field through a surface calculated?

The flux of a vector field through a surface is calculated by taking the dot product of the vector field and the surface's normal vector. This is then multiplied by the area of the surface and integrated over the surface.

What does a positive or negative flux value indicate?

A positive flux value indicates that the vector field is flowing out of the surface, while a negative flux value indicates that the vector field is flowing into the surface. This is based on the direction of the surface's normal vector.

What are some real-life applications of flux of a vector field through a surface?

The concept of flux through a surface is used in various fields such as fluid mechanics, electromagnetism, and heat transfer. It is used to calculate the flow of fluids through pipes, the electric field passing through a surface, and the amount of heat transferred through a surface.

How is the flux of a vector field through a surface related to the divergence theorem?

The flux of a vector field through a closed surface is equal to the volume integral of the divergence of the vector field over the region enclosed by the surface, as stated by the divergence theorem. This theorem is a fundamental relation in vector calculus and allows for easier calculation of flux through surfaces.