Classification Trees vs Neural Networks

In summary, there are several different approaches to image classification, including supervised machine learning, unsupervised clustering, and deep learning architectures. Some recommended reading material on the topic includes "Deep Learning for Computer Vision with Python" by Adrian Rosebrock, "Image Analysis and Text Understanding" by David Forsyth, and "ImageNet Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks" by Alex Krizhevsky et al.
squaremeplz

Homework Statement

Hi there,

I was wondering if anyone out there was familiar with image classification algorithms. I have been creating histograms of pixel intensity distributions.

For example, suppose I have 100 images of a tiger and 100 images of a lion.

I create 100 histograms using the tiger images (that is, create bins 0-10, 10-20,...,250-260) and get 100 CDF.

I do the same for the images of the lions.

Then, I just take the inner products of the unknown CDF and the known CDF. The one's with the greatest inner product is the class I assign the image to.

Does anyone have any good reading material regarding this type of problem? My method can take a long time depending on the resolution of the images.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations None.The Attempt at a SolutionThere are a few different approaches to image classification. One approach is to use supervised machine learning algorithms, such as Support Vector Machines (SVMs), k-Nearest Neighbors (KNNs), and Random Forest classifiers. These algorithms can be trained on labeled data to recognize patterns in the input images, and then classify new images using these patterns.Another approach is to use unsupervised clustering algorithms, such as K-means or hierarchical clustering. These algorithms operate by grouping together similar images based on some measure of similarity. Once the clusters have been formed, they can then be used to classify new images.Finally, another approach is to use deep learning architectures, such as convolutional neural networks (CNNs) or recurrent neural networks (RNNs). These architectures can be trained on large datasets of labeled images in order to learn complex features and patterns that can be used for image classification.In terms of reading material, there are many books, tutorials, and papers available on the topic of image classification. A few particularly good ones are:- Deep Learning for Computer Vision with Python by Adrian Rosebrock- Image Analysis and Text Understanding by David Forsyth- ImageNet Classification with Deep Convolutional Neural Networks by Alex Krizhevsky et al.Hope this helps!

1. What are the main differences between classification trees and neural networks?

Classification trees are a type of decision tree algorithm that uses a series of if/else statements to classify data, while neural networks are a type of machine learning model that uses layers of interconnected nodes to process data and make predictions.

2. Which algorithm is more suitable for classification tasks?

The choice between classification trees and neural networks depends on the specific task and the type of data. In general, classification trees are better for smaller datasets with simpler relationships, while neural networks are better for larger datasets with more complex relationships.

3. How do classification trees and neural networks handle missing or noisy data?

Classification trees can handle missing or noisy data by ignoring it or using surrogate splits, while neural networks can handle it by adjusting the weights and connections between nodes during training.

4. Which algorithm is more interpretable?

Classification trees are generally more interpretable than neural networks because they provide a clear visual representation of the decision-making process. However, newer techniques in neural networks, such as attention mechanisms, are making them more interpretable.

5. Can classification trees and neural networks be combined?

Yes, they can be combined in a technique called ensembling, where the predictions of multiple models are combined to improve accuracy. For example, the outputs of a classification tree and a neural network can be combined to create a more robust prediction.