Clock/modular arithmetic anyone?

• Thread starter JaeSun
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Arithmetic
In summary: Scientist.In summary, a forum member is seeking help with a test that involves concepts such as the RSA algorithm and modular arithmetic. They have already completed the test but want to double check their answers. However, it is important to understand the material and not just rely on the answers. The test is due in 4.5 hours and the forum member should have posted earlier. The scientist, while willing to help, reminds the forum member of the importance of managing time effectively and understanding the material.
JaeSun
anyone familiar with this, along with some RSA and calculating large powers with modular arithmetic (im lost at the name of it currently).

i have attached the test that I took last week ... he allows us to take home the exact same test home, and do it again, and he combines the grades ... (average of each question) ...

im pretty sure I did the test, but I want to do it again just in case ...

if anyone is familiar, can someone double check some answers? I have already done it and will post the answers along with my work if anyone is willing to help me doublecheck it ...

bad on my part in that this is due in 4.5 hours ... should have posted earlier ...

Attachments

• math351_1.pdf
    21.9 KB · Views: 190
Physics news on Phys.org

I am a scientist who specializes in cryptography and computational mathematics. I am familiar with the concepts you mentioned, such as the RSA algorithm and modular arithmetic. I would be happy to assist you in double checking your answers on the test. However, please keep in mind that it is important to understand the material and not just rely on the answers. It would be best to review the concepts and redo the test on your own to ensure a better understanding of the material. Additionally, it is not ethical to ask for help with a test that is due in a short amount of time. It is important to plan and manage your time effectively to avoid such situations. Nevertheless, I am willing to help you out this time. Please post your answers and work and I will review them as soon as possible. Good luck on your test.

Hi there,

I am not familiar with RSA and calculating large powers with modular arithmetic, but I do have some knowledge about clock/modular arithmetic. It is a mathematical concept that deals with the behavior of numbers when they are subject to a fixed modulus. This means that when a number reaches a certain value, it "wraps around" and starts over from the beginning. For example, in a clock, when the hour hand reaches 12, it goes back to 1 and starts counting again.

As for your test, I am not able to help you double check your answers as I am not familiar with the specific concepts you mentioned. However, it is always a good idea to review and double check your work before submitting it. Good luck with your test!

Related to Clock/modular arithmetic anyone?

1. What is clock/modular arithmetic?

Clock/modular arithmetic is a type of arithmetic that is based on the concept of a clock. It involves performing mathematical operations on numbers within a specific range, typically 0 to 12 or 0 to 24. It is often used to represent time and calculate the day of the week.

2. How is clock/modular arithmetic different from regular arithmetic?

Clock/modular arithmetic differs from regular arithmetic in that it uses a fixed modulus or number of elements in its range. This means that when performing operations, the result will always be within this range. For example, in regular arithmetic, 10 + 5 = 15, but in clock/modular arithmetic with a modulus of 12, 10 + 5 = 3.

3. What are some real-life applications of clock/modular arithmetic?

Clock/modular arithmetic has many practical uses in everyday life. It is commonly used in computer science to represent time, in cryptography to encrypt and decrypt messages, and in music theory to calculate musical intervals and harmonies. It is also used in physics and engineering to model periodic phenomena.

4. How is clock/modular arithmetic used in cryptography?

In cryptography, clock/modular arithmetic is used to encrypt and decrypt messages. This is done by converting letters or numbers into their corresponding numerical values within the range of the modulus, performing mathematical operations on these values, and then converting the resulting values back into letters or numbers. This process makes it difficult for an unauthorized person to understand the original message.

5. What are some common mistakes to avoid when working with clock/modular arithmetic?

One common mistake when working with clock/modular arithmetic is forgetting to use the modulus when performing operations. This can result in incorrect answers that are outside of the designated range. Another mistake is using the wrong modulus, which can also lead to incorrect answers. It is important to carefully consider the modulus and double check calculations to ensure accuracy.