Closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble

In summary, Dick's advice helped me find a closed form expression for Z. I was able to find a closed form expression for Z using the geometric series.
haitrungdo82

Homework Statement

I'm looking for a closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble

Homework Equations

epsilon_j - epsilon_j-1 = delta e
Z = Sum notation(j=0...N) e^(-beta*j*delta e)
beta = 1/(k_B*T)
t = (k_B*T)/delta e
N is the number of excited states

The Attempt at a Solution

I am given Z = Sum notation(j=0...N) e^(-beta*j*delta e). But the question asks me
to graph (in MathCAD) Z vs. t, where t = (k_B*T)/delta e. So, if I substitute t = (k_B*T)/delta e into the original Z, then Z becomes Z = Sum notation (j=0...N) e^-(j/t). Then I sketched Z vs. t for N = 25. It is fine!

However, then I have to sketch Z vs. t for N appoaches infinitive. This is a problem. My Professor told me that, for this case, I have to use the closed form of Z. The only closed form expression that I know is Z = e^[1-(lambda_1/k_B)]. But..."lambda_1" doesn't make sense to me. Specifically, I'm looking for a closed form expression that relates the parameters that I am given, or a definition of "lambda_1" that includes the given parameters. When I know it, I will be able to make a graph.

Could anyone help me, please?

Physics news on Phys.org
The sum of e^(-j/t) over j is a geometric series. It's r^j where r=e^(-1/t). Look up 'geometric series'. You shouldn't have any problem finding a closed form expression for the sum over j from 0 to infinity.

Dick said:
The sum of e^(-j/t) over j is a geometric series. It's r^j where r=e^(-1/t). Look up 'geometric series'. You shouldn't have any problem finding a closed form expression for the sum over j from 0 to infinity.

Hi Dick! I was able to sketch the graph thanks to your advice. Good job!

Related to Closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble

1. What is a closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble?

A closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble is a mathematical equation that represents the probability of a given state being occupied in a system that is in thermal equilibrium with its surroundings. It takes into account the energy levels of the system and the temperature at which it is being observed.

2. Why is it important to have a closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble?

Having a closed form expression for the partition function Z using the Canonical Ensemble allows us to calculate the thermodynamic properties of a system, such as its internal energy, entropy, and free energy. These properties are crucial in understanding and predicting the behavior of a system in thermal equilibrium.

3. How is the partition function Z calculated using the Canonical Ensemble?

The partition function Z is calculated by summing over all possible states of a system, weighted by their respective Boltzmann factors. This takes into account the probabilities of each state being occupied at a given temperature, and is represented by the equation Z = ∑e^(-E_i/kT), where E_i is the energy of a given state and k is the Boltzmann constant.

4. What is the difference between the Canonical Ensemble and other ensembles?

The Canonical Ensemble is a statistical mechanics ensemble that describes a system in thermal equilibrium with a fixed number of particles, volume, and temperature. This is different from other ensembles, such as the Grand Canonical Ensemble, which allows for the exchange of particles with a reservoir, or the Microcanonical Ensemble, which describes a system with a fixed energy.

5. How can the partition function Z be used to calculate thermodynamic quantities?

The partition function Z can be used to calculate various thermodynamic quantities, such as the internal energy, entropy, and free energy, through the use of appropriate mathematical equations. These quantities are important in understanding the behavior of a system in thermal equilibrium and can help predict its properties under different conditions.