Closest approach with impact parameter

In summary: What is the angular momentum when it is furthest away?In summary, the angular momentum at closest approach is zero. The angular momentum at furthest away is twice the angular momentum when it is closest approach.
ognik

Homework Statement

A proton of mass m, charge +e and (asymptotic) momentum mv is incident on a Nucleus of charge +Ze at an impact parameter b. Consider only coulomb repulsion and classical mechanics, what is distance of closest approach - d?

Homework Equations

Haven't encountered impact parameter before so please check the following:
I found ## b = \frac{kq_1q_2}{mv^2} \sqrt{ \frac{1+Cos \theta}{1-Cos \theta}} ##
I gather if b = 0, the proton would be aimed straight at the center of the nucleus, let's say that approach is a vector ##\vec{r_0}##
Then b is the distance between ##\vec{r_0}## and the actual path ##\vec{r_i}##, parallel to ##\vec{r_0}##.
And after closest approach, the proton moves off in direction ##\vec{r_f}##, at an angle ##\theta## to ##\vec{r_i}##?

Having said all that, I am unsure of how to apply b...

The Attempt at a Solution

I couldn't see using conservation of energy would help, the proton doesn't stop...
Conservation of momentum looks promising, especially as we don't have the initial distance the proton was when we measured v. Aligning the x-axis with ##\vec{r_i}## we have ##\vec{p_i} = \hat{x}.mv_i## and ##\vec{p_f} = \hat{x}.mv_f Sin \theta + \hat{y}.mv_f Cos \theta##

I'm stuck here, can't see how to involve b - and anyway b is not d, d will be greater than b because the proton starts diverging from ##\vec{r_i}## at some distance along ##\vec{r_i}## before the nucleus - where the coulomb repulsion starts affecting the protons path.

I did wonder if I could make an approximation as to the points where it starts (and symmetrically stops) diverging, I could then approximate d by taking a straight line between those 2 points and minimizing the distance between that line and the nucleus?

Physics news on Phys.org
No expert (any more), but: in the center of mass all initial kinetic energies are converted to coulomb energy at the distance of closest approach. Can you do something with that ? (I lookedhttp://ion-tracks.de/iontracktechnology/2/1/2.html)

[edit] are you allowed some comfortable approximations (non-relativistic, no target nucleus recoil), or do you think you need to plow through the general case -- which may include Z = 1, pp scattering ?

I am sure those approximations are OK. I also think I am looking for a simplistic solution - this is a question that appears in a 'maths for physicists' course, the main section is vectors, the sub-sections I am doing is dot and cross product. As I wrote that, I thought about angular momentum (in this case L = p X r) because it is amenable to the cross-product ...would the initial r be b? And then use conservation of L to find the value at r = d? I'm not sure how to approach that at the moment, how would I minimise r for the angular momentum at r = d?

Hi - was hoping someone could add to this, I can't think of anything new above what I have already thought of (above) - so some tips or hints would be good please

Try using conservation of angular momentum. What is the angular momentum when the proton is a large distance from the nucleus with an impact parameter b? What is it when it is at closest approach?

1. What is the concept of closest approach with impact parameter?

The concept of closest approach with impact parameter is a measure of the distance between a particle and a target object during a collision. It is often used in particle physics to describe the trajectory of particles and their interactions with other particles or objects. The impact parameter is the shortest distance between the particle's path and the center of the target object.

2. How is impact parameter calculated?

Impact parameter is typically calculated using the equation b = L/sinθ, where b is the impact parameter, L is the angular momentum of the particle, and θ is the angle of deflection of the particle's path. In some cases, it can also be calculated by measuring the distance between the particle's path and the center of the target object at the point of closest approach.

3. What is the importance of closest approach with impact parameter in particle physics?

In particle physics, closest approach with impact parameter is important because it provides information about the nature and interactions of particles. By analyzing the impact parameter, scientists can determine the strength and type of force between particles, as well as the structure and properties of particles themselves.

4. Can particles have a zero impact parameter?

No, particles cannot have a zero impact parameter. This would imply that the particle's path is directly aligned with the center of the target object, which is physically impossible. However, particles with a very small impact parameter may be considered to have a "head-on" collision, where the angle of deflection is close to 180 degrees.

5. How does closest approach with impact parameter differ from closest distance of approach?

The closest approach with impact parameter measures the shortest distance between a particle's path and the center of the target object, while the closest distance of approach measures the shortest distance between the particle and the target object itself. These two values may differ, as the closest distance of approach does not take into account the angle of deflection of the particle's path.