Lagarangian of a charged particle in a magnetic field (magnetic monopole)

In summary, the Lagrangian describes the motion of a charged particle (mass ##m## charge ##q##) in the magnetic field ## \vec{B} = g\vec{r}/r^3## (##g## is a constant). The first integrals of the equations of motion are found.
Jansen

Homework Statement

Show that the Lagrangian

$$ L = \frac{m}{2}(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2sin^2\theta) - qg\dot{\phi}cos\theta $$

describes the motion of a charged particle (mass ##m## charge ##q##) in the magnetic field ## \vec{B} = g\vec{r}/r^3## (##g## is a constant). Find the first integrals of the equations of motion.

Homework Equations

##L=T-V##, ##T=\frac{m}{2} \dot{\vec{x}}^2## and for non conservative ##\vec{F}## we may still use an effective 'potential energy' provided it satisfies $$F_\alpha=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{q}_\alpha} \right) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_\alpha}$$

The Attempt at a Solution

First thing that grabs me is that this is a diverging magnetic field. g represents some sort of magnetic charge, I suppose, maybe there is a prefactor in g too. I do not know. So, I guess that means there is no vector potential. I mean, ## \vec{\nabla} \times \vec{B} = \vec{0} \Rightarrow \exists \Phi_m \ni \vec{B} = -\vec{\nabla}\Phi_m##
Here, ##\Phi_m=-\frac{g}{r}##. But the Lorentz force that results from such a field is not conservative.
I figure there could be 2 approaches:

1) The lazy way. We see from the given L that the first part of the sum, ## \frac{m}{2}(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\theta}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2sin^2\theta)=T##. Then we already have, ##V=qg\dot{\phi}cos\theta## We need simply show that it satisfies ##F_\alpha=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{q}_\alpha} \right) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_\alpha}##. But I get: $$\vec{F}=q\dot{\vec{x}} \times \vec{B} = q(\dot{r} \hat r + r\dot{\theta} \hat \theta + r\dot{\phi}sin\theta \hat \phi) \times \frac{g}{r^2} \hat r = q(\frac{g \dot{\phi}}{r} sin \theta \hat \theta - \frac{g \dot{\theta}}{r} \hat \phi)$$
But $$ \frac{d}{dt}\frac{\partial}{\partial \dot \theta}(gq\dot \phi cos\theta)= 0$$ and $$\frac{\partial}{\partial \theta}(gq\dot \phi cos\theta) = -gqsin\theta \dot \phi \neq F_\theta$$

Am I doing the calculus wrong? I don't understand if I have a 1/r factor in the force, this should appear somehow in the derivatives of the given potential. But how? Am I assuming an incorrect expression for the force in the first place? Do forces on charged particles due to magnetic fields from magnetic monopoles behave in some strange way I am not thinking about?

2) Derive the potential function and end up with the suggested expression. This is how I would prefer to do it, but I don't know quite where to start. Taking the line integral over some arbitrary curve will not help, I think, because the Lorentz force is not conservative. Yes, so if anyone has a hint on this method I would really appreciate it. The examples of how to set up the equation of motion of a particle due to an electromagnetic force in my classical mechanics book just give a potential function and don't describe the way to obtain the potential.

I feel obliged to say this is my first post and I hope that my formatting isn't too painful and that I didn't break any major rules. Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Jansen. Welcome to PF!

Jansen said:

Homework Equations

$$F_\alpha=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{q}_\alpha} \right) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_\alpha}$$

The forces on the left of this equation are so-called "generalized forces" and are often written ##Q_\alpha##. Thus, it might be better to write $$Q_\alpha=\frac{d}{dt}\left(\frac{\partial V}{\partial \dot{q}_\alpha} \right) - \frac{\partial V}{\partial q_\alpha}$$
See http://farside.ph.utexas.edu/teaching/336k/Newtonhtml/node76.html
or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Generalized_forces#Generalized_forces

Generalized forces need not have the same dimensions as "true" forces.

If the generalized coordinates are the spherical coordinates ##q_1 = r##, ##q_2 =\theta##, and ##q_3 = \phi##, then see if you can show that, in general, ##Q_1 = F_r##, ##Q_2 = r \cdot F_{\theta}##, and ##Q_3 = r \sin \theta \cdot F_{\phi}##

Apply these relations to your specific problem and see if you can get it to work out.

Last edited:
TSny said:
If the generalized coordinates are the spherical coordinates ##q_1 = r##, ##q_2 =\theta##, and ##q_3 = \phi##, then see if you can show that, in general, ##Q_1 = F_r##, ##Q_2 = r \cdot F_{\theta}##, and ##Q_3 = r \sin \theta \cdot F_{\phi}##

Apply these relations to your specific problem and see if you can get it to work out.

Yes, I see this works. I am not too sure why this is so. According to the UT reference provided ##Q_i = \sum_{j} F_j \frac{\partial x_j}{\partial q_i}##. Perhaps my interpretation is wrong. But I think that means (since I am going from spherical to spherical coordinates): $$Q_1 = F_r \frac{\partial r}{\partial r} + F_\theta \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial r} + F_\phi \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial r}$$ $$Q_2= F_r \frac{\partial r}{\partial \theta} + F_\theta \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \theta} + F_\phi \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \theta}$$ $$Q_3= F_r \frac{\partial r}{\partial \phi} + F_\theta \frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \phi} + F_\phi \frac{\partial \phi}{\partial \phi}$$

If I have done that right I guess my trouble is in spherical coordinates. I do not see how ##\frac{\partial \theta}{\partial \theta} = r## and similarly for phi ##\partial_\phi \phi = rsin\theta##

In the expression ##Q_i = \sum_{j} F_j \frac{\partial x_j}{\partial q_i}##, the ##x_j## are Cartesian coordinates and the ##F_j## are Cartesian components of the force, So, $$Q_1 = F_x \frac{\partial x}{\partial r} + F_y \frac{\partial y}{\partial r} + F_z \frac{\partial z}{\partial r}$$ etc.

However, there is an easier way to work out the ##Q_i## using the fact that the ##Q_i## are defined so that under an infinitesimal displacement, the work done is ##dW = \sum_{i} Q_i dq_i##.

As an expample, consider an infinitesimal displacement in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction. Then the work is ##dW = Q_2 d\theta##.

But this can also be expressed in terms of the "actual" force ##F_{\theta}## acting in the ##\hat{\theta}## direction: ##dW = F_{\theta} ds##, where ##ds## is the "actual" distance moved in space when ##\theta## increases by ##d\theta##.

Think about how to express ##ds## in terms of ##d\theta##. Then deduce the relation between ##Q_2##and ##F_{\theta}## by requiring ##Q_2 d\theta = F_{\theta} ds##.

Last edited:
Aha! Perfectly clear now. Thank you very much!

1. What is the Lagrangian of a charged particle in a magnetic field?

The Lagrangian of a charged particle in a magnetic field is a mathematical expression that describes the energy of a charged particle as it moves through a magnetic field. It takes into account the kinetic energy of the particle, as well as the potential energy due to the interaction between the particle's charge and the magnetic field.

2. What is a magnetic monopole?

A magnetic monopole is a hypothetical particle that has a single magnetic pole, either a north pole or a south pole, unlike all known magnetic particles, which have both a north and south pole. This concept is still under debate and has not been experimentally observed.

3. How does the Lagrangian of a charged particle change in the presence of a magnetic monopole?

In the presence of a magnetic monopole, the Lagrangian of a charged particle will have an additional term that accounts for the interaction between the particle's charge and the magnetic monopole's magnetic field. This term is proportional to the product of the particle's charge and the strength of the monopole's magnetic field.

4. What is the significance of the Lagrangian in studying particles in a magnetic field?

The Lagrangian is a fundamental tool in studying the motion of particles in a magnetic field. It allows us to calculate the equations of motion for the particle and determine its trajectory in the presence of a magnetic field. It also helps us understand the energy of the particle and how it changes as it moves through the field.

5. How is the Lagrangian used in practical applications?

The Lagrangian is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in particle accelerators, where it helps scientists understand and manipulate the motion of particles in magnetic fields. It is also used in the design of MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to create images of the body's internal structures.