CNC Lathe Material Removal: Why Higher Rates & Revs?

• Thread starter IbertIzzet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Material
In summary, the conversation discusses the differences between a CNC lathe and a conventional lathe in terms of material removal rates and work holding capabilities. The main reason for the CNC lathe's higher rates is attributed to the advanced software and controllers used, which can compensate for tool wear, monitor cutting fluid and temperature, and adapt cutting speed for maximum material removal. These functions would be overwhelming for a manual lathe operator.
IbertIzzet
Hi,

I'm a new member here so I'm not sure if I'm right in posting this query here. I was wondering if anyone could tell me why a CNC lathe is capable of higher material removal rates than a conventional lathe and also why it's work holding allows it to machine at higher revs/min's?

Any help with my question much appreciated,
thanks.

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
if it is , and i suspect it is, it is because of the cnc controller. modern software and controllers can do such things as compensate for tool wear, use " look - a - head " technology to tell the cnc tool when the end of the part is approaching and slow down the feed rate, adapt the correct cutting speed for maximum material removal without suffering spot heat, monitoring of cutting fluid for presence and coolant temperature and a host of other functions that would over whelm Joe ShopRag on the lathe

Related to CNC Lathe Material Removal: Why Higher Rates & Revs?

What is CNC Lathe Material Removal?

CNC Lathe Material Removal is a process in which a computer-controlled machine tool, called a CNC lathe, is used to cut and shape a workpiece of material (such as metal, plastic, or wood) to create a desired final product. It involves the removal of material from the workpiece through the use of specialized cutting tools.

Why is it important to use higher rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal?

Using higher rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal allows for faster and more efficient production. This results in shorter production times and higher output, making it a cost-effective option for manufacturing.

What factors affect the rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal?

The rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal are affected by various factors such as the material being used, the type of cutting tool, the size and shape of the workpiece, and the desired precision of the final product. The speed and feed rate of the machine also play a crucial role in determining the rates and revs.

What are the benefits of using higher rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal?

Using higher rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal results in increased productivity, reduced production time, and improved surface finish. It also allows for the production of more complex and precise shapes and reduces the wear and tear on cutting tools.

Are there any risks associated with using higher rates and revs in CNC Lathe Material Removal?

While higher rates and revs can greatly improve efficiency and productivity in CNC Lathe Material Removal, it is important to carefully consider the material being used and the type of cutting tool to avoid damaging the workpiece or the machine. It is also necessary to ensure that the machine is properly maintained and calibrated to prevent any potential risks.