CO2 bubbling in phosphate buffered saline (pH 7.4)

• Thread starter wils0645
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Co2
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of bubbling 5% CO2 into 30 mL of PBS at 25C for an hour, resulting in a decrease in pH from 7.40 to 6.48. The individual is wondering if they can use the Henderson-Haselbalch equation to determine the concentration of CO2 in the solution over time, with the known pH and pKa of 7.20. They also ask about the need for the flow rate of CO2 infusion and someone responds that it is negligible. The individual mentions the number of moles of CO2 in the solution and the partial pressure of CO2 above it. They also provide the composition of the PBS and mention that not all of
wils0645
I bubbled 5% CO2 through a needle into 30 mL of PBS open to atmosphere (25C) for approximately one hour and reduced the pH from 7.40 to 6.48. I was wondering if I can find the concentration of CO2 in the solution over time with one known (pH) using the Henderson-Haselbalch equation? I am pretty sure the pKa is 7.20 for the phosphate reaction. Since CO2 is an addition of a weak acid into the solution, how can I determine the CO2 concentration over time? Would I need the flow rate of CO2 infusion into the solution? Someone answered in another forum and said it is negligible. I know that the number of moles of CO2 in a 30 mL solution after bubbling is in the 10^-5 range, but I need to know, even if it is a small number. The partial pressure of CO2 above the solution should equilibrate to around 36 mmHg if that helps. The phosphate buffered saline consists of 138 mM of NaCl, 10mM phosphate, 2.7 mM KCl. I am pretty sure the buffer system dissolved Na2HPO4 and KH2PO4. Thanks.

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The tricky part is not all of the CO2 dissolves. CO2 in saline at 25C has a henry constant of 0.0317. Any help would be appreciated.

The Henderson-Haselbalch equation can be used to calculate the concentration of CO2 in solution, given the pH and pKa values. However, it is important to note that this equation assumes that the solution is at equilibrium, which may not be the case in your experiment due to the continuous bubbling of CO2. Additionally, the equation does not take into account the changes in volume and ionic strength of the solution, which can also affect the equilibrium. Therefore, it may not accurately reflect the actual concentration of CO2 in your solution.

To determine the concentration of CO2 over time, you would need to take into account the flow rate of CO2 infusion into the solution, as well as the volume and ionic strength changes. This can be done by measuring the flow rate and calculating the amount of CO2 added to the solution over time. You can also measure the pH of the solution at different time points and use the Henderson-Haselbalch equation to estimate the concentration of CO2 at each point.

It is also important to consider the partial pressure of CO2 above the solution, as this can affect the equilibrium and therefore the concentration of CO2 in solution. The partial pressure should equilibrate to around 36 mmHg, but this may vary depending on factors such as temperature and atmospheric pressure.

In summary, while the Henderson-Haselbalch equation can provide an estimate of the CO2 concentration in solution, it may not accurately reflect the actual concentration in your experimental setup. It is important to take into account the flow rate, volume and ionic strength changes, and partial pressure of CO2 to accurately determine the concentration over time.

Related to CO2 bubbling in phosphate buffered saline (pH 7.4)

What is CO2 bubbling in phosphate buffered saline (pH 7.4)?

CO2 bubbling in phosphate buffered saline (pH 7.4) is a process where carbon dioxide (CO2) gas is introduced into a solution of phosphate buffered saline (PBS) at a pH of 7.4. This is often done in laboratory settings to create a physiological environment for cell and tissue cultures.

Why is CO2 bubbling necessary in PBS (pH 7.4)?

CO2 bubbling is necessary in PBS (pH 7.4) to maintain the proper pH and carbon dioxide levels for cell and tissue cultures. In a physiological environment, cells and tissues require a specific level of CO2 in order to function properly. Bubbling CO2 into PBS helps to create and maintain this environment.

How does CO2 bubbling affect the pH of PBS (pH 7.4)?

CO2 bubbling can affect the pH of PBS (pH 7.4) by lowering it. When CO2 is introduced into the solution, it forms carbonic acid, which lowers the pH. This is important for maintaining a physiological environment for cells and tissues.

Can CO2 bubbling in PBS (pH 7.4) be done without a pH of 7.4?

No, CO2 bubbling in PBS should ideally be done at a pH of 7.4. This is the standard pH for a physiological environment and is necessary for proper cell and tissue function. If the pH is too high or too low, it can affect the cells and tissues in the culture.

What other factors should be considered when bubbling CO2 in PBS (pH 7.4)?

Other factors that should be considered when bubbling CO2 in PBS (pH 7.4) include the temperature and humidity of the environment. These can also affect the pH and CO2 levels in the solution. It is important to monitor and control these factors to ensure a stable and optimal environment for cell and tissue cultures.