CO2 Sequestration and Cave Pressure Problem

In summary, the conversation is about solving a problem involving the total work energy required by a compressor during a process. The person providing the summary has already completed parts 1 and 2, and has shared a link to a PDF document with the relevant equations. They have also clarified that they are working on part C and are more comfortable with using moles instead of mass. They discuss the relationship between differential change of specific enthalpy, specific volume, and differential pressure change in an adiabatic reversible operation of the compressor. The integration of vdP is mentioned, and there is confusion about how to carry out the integration due to the relationship of pV^k=C. The conversation ends with a clarification on the gas specific volume
cwill53
Homework Statement
The carbon dioxide gas (CO2) can be separated from products of combustion (i.e., sequestration) and stored in an underground cavern which is initially at ##p_{cavern,1}##= 100 kPa and ##T_{cavern,1} = 320 K## with a volume of 100,000 ##m^3##. An adiabatic process compressor of ##pV^k=C## is used with an inlet of CO2 at T = 300 K and p = 100 kPa with gas delivered at the same pressure as cave pressure. In order to maintain the inlet temperature of 320 K the heat exchanger is installed to cool the gas. Pressure losses in the pipe can be ignored. Heat transfer from the ground to the cavern upholds constant temperature conditions within the cave. The process of CO2 charging proceeds until the pressure in the cave is 10,000 kPa. Assume ideal gas conditions, potential and kinetic energies are negligible.
Determine:
(a) the charge of mass to the cave, m,
(b) the total heat transfer to the cave, ##Q_{cave}##,
(c) the total work energy required by the compressor, ##W_{compressor}##, during this process,
(d) the heat transfer in the heat exchanger needed to keep a constant temperature of the CO2 within the cave during this process.
Relevant Equations
$$\frac{dE_{cv}}{dt}=\dot{Q}_{cv}-\dot{W}_{cv}+\sum_{i}\dot{m}_i(h_i+\frac{V_i^2}{2}+gz_i)-\sum_{e}\dot{m}_e(h_e+\frac{V_e^2}{2}+gz_e)$$
$$pV=mRT$$
$$dH=dU+pdV+Vdp$$
$$dU=\delta Q-\delta W$$
$$dh=c_p(T)dT$$
I've made it through the first 2 parts, it's just that part C has me stumped. I don't know how to manipulate the information I already know to figure out the total work energy required by the compressor, ##W_{compressor}##, during the process.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show us what you did in parts 1 and 2 please.

Chestermiller said:
Show us what you did in parts 1 and 2 please.
This is going to be incredibly lazy, but I put the portion of the work pertaining to this problem inside of a PDF document accessible by this link:

To put the equations in Google Docs, which was the required format I had to use for this assignment, I had to copy LaTeX generated images and I no longer have the code typed up. Ignore everything from part C downwards.

So, I assume we are working on part C. I feel much more comfortable working in terms of moles than in terms of mass, but, if you are confident in working in terms of mass, I can accept that.

For the adiabatic reversible operation of the compressor, what is the relationship between differential change of specific enthalpy, specific volume, and differential pressure change along the compressor? In terms of the inlet and outlet pressures, what is the overall change in specific enthalpy between the inlet and outlet of the compressor?

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
So, I assume we are working on part C. I feel much more comfortable working in terms of moles than in terms of mass, but, if you are confident in working in terms of mass, I can accept that.

For the adiabatic reversible operation of the compressor, what is the relationship between differential change of specific enthalpy, specific volume, and differential pressure change along the compressor? In terms of the inlet and outlet pressures, what is the overall change in specific enthalpy between the inlet and outlet of the compressor?
Yes, that is correct. The reason I did it in mass amounts is because I'm just used to that. If you prefer molar that's fine. I just use mass basis because most of the data in Moran's book is given on a mass basis.
For the differential change in specific enthalpy in an adiabatic process, I wrote:
$$dh=du+pdv+vdp$$
$$dh=\delta q-\delta w+pdv+vdp$$
$$\delta q=0;\delta w=pdv$$
$$dh=vdp=c_pdT$$

cwill53 said:
Yes, that is correct. The reason I did it in mass amounts is because I'm just used to that. If you prefer molar that's fine. I just use mass basis because most of the data in Moran's book is given on a mass basis.
For the differential change in specific enthalpy in an adiabatic process, I wrote:
$$dh=du+pdv+vdp$$
$$dh=\delta q-\delta w+pdv+vdp$$
$$\delta q=0;\delta w=pdv$$
$$dh=vdp=c_pdT$$
So what do you get when you integrate vdP over the compressor to get ##\Delta h##?

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
So what do you get when you integrate vdP over the compressor to get ##\Delta h##?
Should you get ##\Delta h= v(p_2-p_1)##?

cwill53 said:
Should you get ##\Delta h= v(p_2-p_1)##?
No. You need to integrate based on ##Pv^k=C##.

Last edited:
Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
No. You need to integrate based on ##Pv^k=C##.

I’m a tad confused, I don’t understand how the integration of vdp with respect to p wouldn’t be ##h_2-h_1=v(p_2-p_1)##.

cwill53 said:
I’m a tad confused, I don’t understand how the integration of vdp with respect to p wouldn’t be ##h_2-h_1=v(p_2-p_1)##.
Is the gas specific volume in a compressor constant?

Likes cwill53
Chestermiller said:
No it can’t be because ##pV^k=C##.

Chestermiller said:
Knowing the relationship ##pV^k=C##, how should I carry out the integration?

cwill53 said:
Knowing the relationship ##pV^k=C##, how should I carry out the integration?
$$Pv^k=C=P_0v_0^k$$where the zero subscripts apply at the entrance to the compressor. So $$v=v_0\left(\frac{P}{P_0}\right)^{-1/k}$$So $$vdP=v_0\left(\frac{P}{P_0}\right)^{-1/k}dP$$

Likes cwill53

1. What is CO2 sequestration?

CO2 sequestration is the process of capturing and storing carbon dioxide gas in a safe and secure manner to prevent its release into the atmosphere.

2. How does CO2 sequestration work?

CO2 sequestration involves capturing carbon dioxide emissions from large industrial sources, such as power plants, and injecting them deep underground into geological formations, such as depleted oil and gas reservoirs or deep saline aquifers.

3. What is the purpose of CO2 sequestration?

The purpose of CO2 sequestration is to reduce the amount of carbon dioxide released into the atmosphere, which is a major contributor to climate change. By storing the CO2 underground, it is prevented from entering the atmosphere and contributing to the greenhouse effect.

4. What is the cave pressure problem?

The cave pressure problem refers to the potential effects of CO2 sequestration on underground caves. As CO2 is injected into the ground, it can increase the pressure in underground formations, potentially causing damage or collapse to nearby caves.

5. How can the cave pressure problem be addressed?

The cave pressure problem can be addressed through careful site selection and monitoring. Geological studies and computer simulations can help identify suitable sites for CO2 sequestration that are not near sensitive cave systems. Additionally, regular monitoring of pressure levels in the underground formations can help detect any potential issues and allow for adjustments to be made to the injection process if necessary.