Coaxial cable - Signal on oscillosope?

In summary, if you measure the voltage of the antenna coaxial cable when you have a TV or DVD signal, you will see 8 pulses per scanline and a horizontal sync pulse every two pulses. The pulses represent the black and white squares on the screen. The gaps between the pulses represent the white squares.
Edgardo
Hello all,

I once wanted to plug two coaxial cables together (tv - antenna),
and when I touched the coaxial cable coming from the antenna,
I got an electric shock (a weak one, like if you get an electric shock if
you are charged and touch metal).

My questions:

1) Why did I get an electric shock (is it because a coaxial cable
is a capacitor)? And when do I get those electric shocks?
I often touched the coaxial cable and nothing happened.

2) If you take an oscilloscope and measure the voltage of the antenna
coaxial cable, do you get a signal? Do you also measure current?
What does the signal look like?
Does the signal from a DVD look different than the signal from the antenna?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Was the shield on the coax grounded ?

Gokul43201 said:
Was the shield on the coax grounded ?

I don't know :shy:
How do I see if it was shielded? It was a usual coaxial cable,
that you use to connect your tv to the antenna on the roof.

In a coax(ial) cable, you have the outer sheath of insulation and protection, below that is the shield composed of braided thin strand wire. Below that is the dielectric material, usually white, surrounding the center conductor.

The shield should be grounded to the same place as the meter for your household electricity. If not, it is a danger (lightning strike) to you and to whatever is connected to it.

The likely cause of your shock was a static discharge due to your body acquiring a charge (walking on a rug?) and then being discharged to ground through the antenna cable or through a capacitve path. Besides making sure the cable shield is grounded, I wouldn’t worry about it.

Edgardo said:
2) If you take an oscilloscope and measure the voltage of the antenna
Does the signal from a DVD look different than the signal from the antenna?

Can anyone with an oscilloscope at home do this?

Originally Posted by Edgardo
“2) If you take an oscilloscope and measure the voltage of the antenna
Does the signal from a DVD look different than the signal from the antenna?”

The TV broadcasting station transmits a high frequency carrier wave. The TV information (image, color, audio and synchronization) is superimposed upon the carrier wave, termed modulation.

To visualize the TV signal on an “o” scope would require some previous amplification and a detector device to exclude the carrier wave.

The DVD signal may be available on a jack labeled “video out”. That signal would be the same as above but without the high frequency carrier wave. It could be viewed directly on a scope.

To keep it simple, imagine a black and white, home security TV camera (no audio, no color, no carrier wave) is imaging a black and white chessboard at a distance so the chessboard completely fills the image area. The output signal connected to the scope would reveal:

2 tall horizontal sync pulses
8 not quite as tall pulses between the sync pulses representing the black squares.
8 gaps between the black pulses representing the white squares.
If there was a gray shaded square, its amplitude would lie somewhere between the gap and tall black representing pulses.

Depending on the broadcast standard, every so often there would be a vertical sync pulse.

Related to Coaxial cable - Signal on oscillosope?

1. What is a coaxial cable?

A coaxial cable is a type of cable used for transmitting radio frequency signals. It consists of two conductors - a central wire surrounded by a metallic shield and insulation material, all of which are enclosed in an outer layer of insulation. This design allows for the efficient transfer of signals with minimal interference.

2. How does a coaxial cable carry a signal?

The inner conductor of a coaxial cable carries the signal, while the outer metallic shield acts as a conductor and also shields the inner conductor from external interference. This allows for a strong and stable signal to be transmitted through the cable.

3. What is the role of the outer layer of insulation in a coaxial cable?

The outer layer of insulation in a coaxial cable provides protection and prevents interference from external sources. It also helps to maintain the integrity and stability of the signal being transmitted through the cable.

4. How can I test the signal on an oscilloscope using a coaxial cable?

To test the signal on an oscilloscope using a coaxial cable, first connect the cable to the input of the oscilloscope using the proper connectors. Then, adjust the settings on the oscilloscope to match the frequency and amplitude of the signal being transmitted through the cable. The oscilloscope will display the signal as a waveform, allowing you to analyze its properties.

5. What are the advantages of using a coaxial cable for signal transmission?

Coaxial cables have several advantages for signal transmission, including high bandwidth capabilities, low signal loss, and strong shielding against interference. They are also relatively inexpensive and easy to install, making them a popular choice for various applications such as television, internet, and telecommunications.