How to Connect Coils in Series in Ansys Maxwell 3D?

This will help you achieve accurate results that match your hand calculations. In summary, you can use the "Wire" feature in Ansys Maxwell 3D to physically connect three coils in series in the secondary side of the transformer, with the ability to adjust parameters such as resistance and inductance for accurate results.
Rafael Villarroel
Hello everyone, wondering if you can give some help with ansys Maxwell 3D modelling.

I'm working on the design of a new type of transformer and according my drawings and calculations I need to physical connect (not mutually-inducted) three coils in the secondary side of the transformer, they must be connected in serie, so I guess they can be connected through their terminals? Honestly, I don't know, haven't done this before and the manual doesn't provide an example of this. I have drawn a 3D model which is OK so far, but I need to find out a way to connect those coils to make results match with my hand calculations.

Thank you in advance guys

Engineering news on Phys.org
ANSWER:

Yes, you can connect the coils in the secondary side of the transformer through their terminals. Depending on your specific design, you can use the "Wire" feature within Ansys Maxwell 3D to draw a line between the terminals of the coils and connect them. In the "Wire" window, you can adjust the terminal connections and the distance between the coils. Then, click "OK" and the coils will be connected. You can also add additional parameters such as resistance, inductance, and capacitance if needed.

1. What is a coil connection in Ansys?

A coil connection in Ansys is a feature that allows users to connect different parts of a model together using a circular or helical shape. This connection is typically used in electromagnetic simulations to model coils, such as inductors or transformers, and their interactions with other components.

2. How do I create a coil connection in Ansys?

To create a coil connection in Ansys, first make sure you have activated the connection feature by going to the Connections tab and selecting "Coil" from the drop-down menu. Then, select the two surfaces or edges that you want to connect and specify the connection parameters, such as the number of turns and the coil radius. Finally, click "Generate" to create the coil connection.

3. Can I customize the properties of a coil connection in Ansys?

Yes, you can customize the properties of a coil connection in Ansys by right-clicking on the connection and selecting "Edit Connection Properties". From there, you can change the type of connection, the number of turns, the coil radius, and other parameters to suit your simulation needs.

4. What types of analyses can I use a coil connection for in Ansys?

A coil connection in Ansys is primarily used for electromagnetic simulations, such as for modeling inductors, transformers, and other coil-based components. However, it can also be used for thermal, structural, and fluid flow analyses in certain cases, depending on the specific application and setup.

5. Are there any limitations to using coil connections in Ansys?

While coil connections are a powerful tool in Ansys, there are some limitations to be aware of. For example, they can only be used to connect two surfaces or edges that are parallel or perpendicular to each other. Additionally, they may not be suitable for complex coil geometries or highly non-linear simulations.