Collision of thermal neutrons and Cobalt

In summary, the cross section of ##^{59}Co## for capturing thermal neutrons is 2000 fm^2. A 10g, thin paper of ##^{59}Co## is radiated for 100 hours in reactor with neutron flux 2x10^{18}/m^2s. Density of ##^{59}Co## is 8.9g/cm^3. Half life time of ##^{60}Co## is 5.2 years.
skrat

Homework Statement

The cross section of ##^{59}Co## for capturing the thermal neutrons is ##2000 fm^2##. A ##10g##, thin paper of ##^{59}Co## is radiated for ##100 hours## in reactor with neutron flux ##2\cdot 10^{18} /m^2s##. Density of ##^{59}Co## is ##8.9g/cm^3##. Half life time of ##^{60}Co## is ##5.2 years##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So what happens is ##n+##^{59}Co##->^{60}Co## which than decays with ##t_{1/2}=5.2 years##.

Well, the number of successful collisions is ##dN=\frac{NN_{59}\sigma }{S}## and dividing that by ##dt## gives me ##\frac{dN}{dt}=jN_{59}\sigma ##.

Of course, some of the ##^{60}Co## will immediately start to decay, therefore:

##\frac{dN}{dt}=jN_{59}\sigma -\frac{N}{\tau }##

Solving this differential equations using ##N=C+Ae^{-t/\tau }##

Leaves me with ##N=\tau (jN_{59}\sigma -1)(1-e^{-t\tau })## where ##t/\tau <<1## so

##\frac{N}{t}=jN_{59}\sigma -1= 2.4\cdot 10^{16}Bq## instead of ##6\cdot 10^{11}Bq##.

Note that ##N_{59}=\frac{mN_a}{M}##.

Why is this wrong? :(

Physics news on Phys.org
You're solution seems correct. I'm not sure why you say it's wrong.

Basically the only reason why I think this method is wrong is because the "official" result is ##6\cdot 10^{11}Bq##

I also remembered that I could take into account here ##\frac{dN}{dt}=jN_{59}\sigma -\frac{N}{\tau }## that already excited ##^{60}Co## can't get even more exited. Therefore the more exact solution would follow from inserting that ##N_{59}=N_{59}^0-N##

Of course "official" results can be wrong too so if you agree with my solution and if nobody else will complain than I think it is safe to assume that what I did is ok.

Your solution is incorrect. If you determine the constants C and A correctly, you will find:
[tex] N = \tau j N_{59} \sigma (1-e^{\frac{t}{\tau}})[/tex]
Then, as you said, t<<τ, so:
[tex] N = \tau j N_{59} \sigma {\frac{t}{\tau}} = t j N_{59} \sigma [/tex]
This makes sense, since at early times the activity increases linearly with time. So the activity N/τ is:
[tex] \frac{N}{\tau} = \frac{t}{\tau} j N_{59} \sigma [/tex]

It is this factor of t/τ that you omitted. When you plug in the numbers, you do in fact get 6E11 Becquerels.

Likes 1 person
Where one wrote N/t, it should be N/τ (where τ is tau = 1/λ), lambda = decay constant, and tau is the mean lifetime.

Likes 1 person
Ah, of course!

Thanks to all of you!

Related to Collision of thermal neutrons and Cobalt

1. What is the significance of the collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt?

The collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt is significant because it produces a nuclear reaction, specifically the absorption of the neutron by Cobalt-59 to form Cobalt-60. This reaction is used in various applications such as in nuclear power plants and in medical treatments for cancer.

2. How does the collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt produce Cobalt-60?

When a thermal neutron collides with Cobalt-59, it is absorbed by the nucleus, causing it to become unstable. The nucleus then undergoes radioactive decay, releasing a beta particle and gamma rays, and transforming into Cobalt-60.

3. What is the half-life of Cobalt-60 produced by the collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt?

The half-life of Cobalt-60 is 5.27 years, meaning that it takes 5.27 years for half of the initial amount of Cobalt-60 to decay into other elements.

4. How is the collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt used in medical treatments?

The gamma rays produced by the decay of Cobalt-60 can be directed at cancer cells to destroy them. This process is known as radiotherapy and is a common treatment for certain types of cancer.

5. Are there any safety concerns with the collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt?

Yes, there are safety concerns with the collision between thermal neutrons and Cobalt. Cobalt-60 is a radioactive material and can be harmful if not handled properly. Proper safety protocols must be followed when working with this material to avoid exposure to harmful radiation.