Collisions Question: Moment whilst force acts through CoG

In summary, the problem involves a collision at point C which produces a horizontal force in the inertial frame of reference. The solution includes resolving the force into the new frame of reference and using angular momentum equations. However, there is a moment about the Z axis despite the collision force acting through the center of gravity, which is causing confusion for the person trying to solve the problem.
Kushwoho44

Homework Statement

EDIT: DO NOT READ. I SOLVED IT.[/B]
The collision in this problem acts at point C and acts a purely horizontal force in the inertial frame of reference.
upload_2015-11-6_21-30-0.png

Homework Equations

upload_2015-11-6_21-31-13.png

The Attempt at a Solution

I understand the maths that is at work here, when we resolve the force into the new frame of reference, x1 and y1, we can find the moments and develop the angular momentum equations.

However, what is bothering me is that there is a moment about the Z (or Z1, it's the same) axis despite the collision force acting through line of the centre of gravity?

This is deeply annoying to me, because I'd think this physically impossible. So, I'm not sure where the hole in my physical understanding of the problem is.

Last edited:
That's Greg's bot...

Related to Collisions Question: Moment whilst force acts through CoG

1. What is the difference between moment and force?

Force is a measure of the push or pull on an object, while moment is a measure of the turning effect of a force.

2. What is the Center of Gravity (CoG) and why is it important?

The Center of Gravity (CoG) is the point at which an object's weight is evenly distributed in all directions. It is important because it helps determine an object's stability and how it will react to external forces.

3. How does force act through the CoG in a collision?

When a force acts through the CoG, it produces a turning effect on the object but does not cause it to move. This is because the force is acting on the object's center of mass, which is also the CoG.

4. What is the relationship between moment and force in a collision?

In a collision, the moment equals the force multiplied by the distance from the point of application to the CoG. This means that the further the force is from the CoG, the greater the turning effect it will have on the object.

5. How does understanding moment and force through the CoG help in designing safer structures?

Understanding moment and force through the CoG allows engineers to design structures that are more stable and less likely to topple or collapse. By placing the CoG at a lower point, the moment caused by external forces is reduced, making the structure more resistant to tipping over.