Color Index and Intrinsic Magnitude of a Star

In summary: This is different from the "apparent magnitude", which is the magnitude of the star as observed from Earth, taking into account all effects such as extinction and distance.
Kelli Van Brunt
Homework Statement
A UBV photometric (UBV Johnson’s) observation of a star gives U = 8.15, B = 8.50, and V = 8.14. Based on the spectral class, one gets the intrinsic color (U – B)o = -0.45. Determine the intrinsic magnitudes M_U, M_B, and M_V of the star (take, for the typical interstellar matters, the ratio of total to selective extinction R = 3.2). The star is known to have radius of 2.3 solar radii, absolute bolometric magnitude of -0.25, and bolometric correction (BC) of -0.15.
Relevant Equations
B - V = (B - V)o + E(B - V)
U - B = (U - B)o + E(U - B)
R = Av / E(B - V) = 3.2
m - M = 5log(r/10) + A
E(U - B) = 0.72*E(B - V)
I first determined ##E_{U - B}## by using the second equation listed above: $$U - B = (U - B)_0 + E_{U - B}$$ $$8.15 - 8.50 = -0.45 + E_{U - B}$$ Then since the ratio to the B-V color excess is known, I solved for that and obtained ##E_{B - V} = 0.14##. Using the ratio of total to selective extinction and the fact that ##E_{B-V} = A_B - A_V##, we get ##A_V = 0.44## and ##A_B = 0.58##. (So far this is in line with the given solution.)

From here, the solution given for this problem takes the following step: it uses ##V = M_V + A_V##, giving ##8.14 = M_V + 0.44## and solving for ##M_V##, ##M_B##, and ##M_U## from there, obtaining ##M_V = 7.69##, ##M_B = 7.91##, and ##M_U = 7.46##.

I don't understand why this is a valid method. I've looked in my textbook and it corroborates what I assumed to be correct - that the equation for V is ##V = M_V + 5log\frac{r}{10} + A_V## to account for the "spreading out" of the light in addition to the extinction. So is the ##5log\frac{r}{10}## automatically accounted for in ##A_V## in this case? If not, what am I missing? Thanks to anyone who can offer help.

There is some extra information in the homework statement that was used for further parts of this question; I don't believe it's relevant to this part, but I left it there in case it has some implication here. One other possibility is that I am misunderstanding the term "intrinsic magnitude" in the question statement, which I took to mean "absolute magnitude." Is there a difference here?

Physics news on Phys.org
The equation for V that you have given is only valid for objects that are at a distance of 10 parsecs. In this case, the star is much farther away, so the equation needs to be modified. The extra term in the equation (the one with ##5log\frac{r}{10}##) accounts for the fact that the star is not at a distance of 10 parsecs, and thus the light from the star has been spread out over a larger area. Therefore, it is less bright than it would be if it were at a distance of 10 parsecs, and this term accounts for that.The "intrinsic magnitude" in this case refers to the magnitude of the star if it were at a distance of 10 parsecs, without any extinction or other effects. In other words, it is the absolute magnitude of the star.

1. What is the Color Index of a star?

The Color Index of a star is a measure of its color or temperature. It is calculated by comparing the star's apparent magnitudes in two different wavelength bands, typically blue and visual (yellow-green). The difference between these magnitudes is used to determine the color index, with a higher index indicating a redder star and a lower index indicating a bluer star.

2. How is the Color Index used to classify stars?

The Color Index is an important tool in classifying stars into different spectral types. Based on their color index, stars can be classified as O, B, A, F, G, K, or M type. This classification is also related to the star's temperature, with O type stars being the hottest and M type stars being the coolest.

3. What is the Intrinsic Magnitude of a star?

The Intrinsic Magnitude of a star is a measure of its brightness as it would appear if it were located at a standard distance of 10 parsecs (32.6 light years) from Earth. It is calculated by correcting for the star's distance and extinction (interstellar absorption of light) and is used to compare the true brightness of stars.

4. How is the Intrinsic Magnitude related to the Color Index?

The Intrinsic Magnitude and Color Index are related through the concept of absolute magnitude. Absolute magnitude is the Intrinsic Magnitude that a star would have if it were located at a distance of 10 parsecs, and it is related to the star's luminosity. A star's absolute magnitude and color index can be used to determine its luminosity class and evolutionary stage.

5. Can the Color Index and Intrinsic Magnitude be used to measure a star's distance?

Yes, the Color Index and Intrinsic Magnitude can be used to estimate a star's distance from Earth. By comparing the star's intrinsic magnitude to its apparent magnitude, which is affected by its distance, we can calculate the star's distance from Earth. This method is known as the distance modulus and is commonly used in astronomy to determine distances to stars and other celestial objects.