Coloumbs Law when have 3 charges at unknown distances

In summary, two charges, +8e and -2e, are fixed at the origin and on the x-axis at x=L respectively. A question asks at what point (other than infinitely away) can a unit positive charge, e, be placed so that it has a net zero force acting on it. Using the equation F = (kq1q2)/r^2, with values of q1 = 1.282 x 10^-18C, q2 = 3.204 x 10^-19C, and k = 8.988 x 10^9Nm^2C^-2, it is found that placing the charge between the two fixed charges would result in a net force that is
garypinkerton

Homework Statement

I have a question that I can't figure out.

Question is
"Two charges are fixed in location: charge q1 = +8e is located at the origin and charge q2 = -2e is located on the x-axis at x = L. At what point (other than infinitely away) can a proton (a unit positive charge e) be placed so that it has net zero force acting on it"

Homework Equations

F = (kq1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got that q1 is (8e x 1.602 x 10^-19C) = 1.282 x 10^-18C
and q 2 is (-2e x 1.602 x 10^-19C) = 3.204 x 10^-19C
k = 8.988 x 10^9Nm^2C^-2
Am assuming that a unit positive charge is 1C (although did originally think it could possibly be 1.602 x 10^-19C, the size of one proton, would that be correct?)

When pumping in these values into the formula, and rearranging the formula so F = 0N, this will obviously give a distance of 0 which would be incorrect, also not sure how the added proton fits in anywhere. Have spent a few hours trying to find another way but am a bit stuck. Thanks in advance for any help =)

Physics news on Phys.org
garypinkerton said:

Homework Statement

I have a question that I can't figure out.

Question is
"Two charges are fixed in location: charge q1 = +8e is located at the origin and charge q2 = -2e is located on the x-axis at x = L. At what point (other than infinitely away) can a proton (a unit positive charge e) be placed so that it has net zero force acting on it"

Homework Equations

F = (kq1q2)/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I have got that q1 is (8e x 1.602 x 10^-19C) = 1.282 x 10^-18C
and q 2 is (-2e x 1.602 x 10^-19C) = 3.204 x 10^-19C
k = 8.988 x 10^9Nm^2C^-2
Am assuming that a unit positive charge is 1C (although did originally think it could possibly be 1.602 x 10^-19C, the size of one proton, would that be correct?)

When pumping in these values into the formula, and rearranging the formula so F = 0N, this will obviously give a distance of 0 which would be incorrect, also not sure how the added proton fits in anywhere. Have spent a few hours trying to find another way but am a bit stuck. Thanks in advance for any help =)
one should make out a force diagram and see /calculate the resultant of the two forces and make it zero.

Likes garypinkerton
drvrm said:
one should make out a force diagram and see /calculate the resultant of the two forces and make it zero.
Thanks for your reply. How would I go about that if I don't have distances?

Try and feel it :-
if you put a +ve unit charge IN BETWEEN 8e and -2e, then it the 8e would cause repulsion and -2e would cause attraction, plot it and you would get that this is not possible.

if you put a +ve unit charge on the line joining the two charges ( but not in b/w them ) then it is possible that you find two points on which the net force =0

Likes garypinkerton
Sahil Kukreja said:
Try and feel it :-
if you put a +ve unit charge IN BETWEEN 8e and -2e, then it the 8e would cause repulsion and -2e would cause attraction, plot it and you would get that this is not possible.

if you put a +ve unit charge on the line joining the two charges ( but not in b/w them ) then it is possible that you find two points on which the net force =0
Arrrr yes! That would work perfectly, thanks for your time in helping =)

1. What is Coulomb's Law?

Coulomb's Law is a fundamental law of physics that describes the electrostatic interaction between two charged particles. It states that the force between two charges is directly proportional to the product of their magnitudes and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them.

2. How does Coulomb's Law apply to three charges at unknown distances?

In the case of three charges at unknown distances, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the net force on any one of the charges. The law can be applied individually to each pair of charges, and then the vector sum of these individual forces can be found to determine the net force on the third charge.

3. What is the formula for Coulomb's Law?

The formula for Coulomb's Law is F = k(q1q2)/r^2, where F is the force between two charges, k is the Coulomb constant (k = 8.99 x 10^9 Nm^2/C^2), q1 and q2 are the magnitudes of the charges, and r is the distance between the charges.

4. How is the direction of the force determined in Coulomb's Law?

The direction of the force between two charges is determined by the principle of superposition, which states that the net force on a charge is equal to the vector sum of the individual forces acting on that charge. The direction of the net force can be found by considering the direction of the individual forces and using vector addition.

5. Can Coulomb's Law be used to calculate the force between charges at any distance?

Yes, Coulomb's Law can be used to calculate the force between charges at any distance, as long as the charges are point charges and the distance between them is known. However, for charges that are very close together or very far apart, other factors such as the size and shape of the charges may need to be taken into account.