Columbia or VCU Medical Physics Program?

In summary: I think either school would be a good place to get a medical physics degree. If you decide to go to one of the schools, it would be a great idea to visit them both before making a decision.
kbk5033
Columbia or VCU Medical Physics Program??

I was recently accepted to the Medical Physics Programs at Columbia and Virginia Commonwealth University. I am wondering if anyone has any insight on how the programs are at both of these schools. I know that Columbia obviously has a prestigious reputation, however I am curious as to whether going to such a school even carries any weight when searching for jobs in this field. ps..I am interested in becoming a clinical med physicist and working in a hospital, not the academics or research field.

Any information is greatly appreciated! :)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware that VCU has an associated CAMPEP-accredited medical physics residency program? From what I can tell Columbia does not. There are no guarantees, but you might be in a position to transition into the VCU residency from their graduate program if you make a good impression during your studies.

Living in Richmond, VA will also be significantly cheaper than living in New York City, though obviously the culture is different as well. Do you have a preference between the two regions? Have you ever lived in a place like NYC? Did you visit both programs prior to being accepted? Was there anything good or bad that stood out to you about either program?

Are you familiar with any of the research being produced at either place? Even if you stop at the M.S. degree with no intention of having a research-oriented career, you will almost certainly have to be involved in some graduate research. Does anything they are doing sound particularly interesting to you? Showing success in graduate research will also help with finding a residency position.

For what it's worth, I have not heard much about the Columbia program (positive or negative) but a few of the faculty involved in my own Medical Physics graduate program spoke highly of the VCU program when I was looking for residency options.

They are both CAMPEP-accredited M.S. programs, so I don't think either program would be a bad choice. Graduate school can be difficult and trying, so enjoying your location and feeling comfortable in your surroundings for when you get opportunities to take a break from your studies is also very important.

Good luck and congratulations!

I think you're in the fortunate position of being able to chose between two good options.

I don't know a lot about either program, but my PhD external examiner came from VCU and I have a lot of respect for him as a medical physicist.

1. What is the difference between the Columbia and VCU Medical Physics Program?

The Columbia and VCU Medical Physics Programs are both highly reputable programs that offer a comprehensive curriculum in medical physics. While both programs cover similar topics such as radiation therapy, diagnostic imaging, and radiation safety, there may be slight differences in the specific courses offered and the available research opportunities. It is important to research and compare the curriculum and faculty at each program to determine which one aligns best with your interests and career goals.

2. What are the admission requirements for these programs?

The specific admission requirements for the Columbia and VCU Medical Physics Programs may vary, but both typically require applicants to have a bachelor's degree in physics, engineering, or a related field. They also often require GRE scores, letters of recommendation, and a statement of purpose. Some programs may also have minimum GPA requirements and prerequisite courses in math and physics.

3. How long does it take to complete the program?

The duration of the Columbia and VCU Medical Physics Programs may vary, but most programs require two years of full-time study to complete. This typically includes coursework, clinical rotations, and a thesis or research project. Some programs may offer the option to complete the program part-time, which may take longer to complete.

4. What career opportunities are available after completing these programs?

Graduates of the Columbia and VCU Medical Physics Programs are well-prepared for a variety of careers in medical physics. Some common career paths include working in hospitals or clinics as a clinical medical physicist, conducting research in academia or industry, or pursuing a career in radiation safety. Many graduates also go on to pursue advanced degrees or certifications in specific areas of medical physics.

5. Are these programs accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Medical Physics Education Programs (CAMPEP)?

Yes, both the Columbia and VCU Medical Physics Programs are accredited by CAMPEP. This accreditation ensures that the programs meet rigorous standards for education and training in medical physics. Graduating from an accredited program is often a requirement for becoming certified by the American Board of Radiology in Medical Physics.