Combination of thin lens and concave mirror

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with solving a physics question involving a thin converging lens and a concave spherical mirror. The question is incomplete and has missing information, which leads to confusion and incorrect answers. It is advised to double-check all given values and ensure they are being used correctly in the equations.
physstudent189
Homework Statement
The figure below shows a thin converging lens for which the radii are R1 = 8.48 cm and R2 = -11.4 cm. The lens is in front of a concave spherical mirror of radius R = 6.07 cm. If its focal points F1 and F2 are 4.58 cm from the vertex of the lens: b) If the lens and mirror are 20.3 cm apart and an object is placed 8.00 cm to the left of the lens, determine the position of the final image relative to the lens (Positive values are to the left).
Relevant Equations
1/f = 1/do + 1/di
I created the following ray diagram to help me solve the problem:
PLQ and CAPA.jpg

Then I applied the mirror equation 3 separate times.
IMG_8003F46351DC-1.jpeg

However, the final image distance I got is wrong. I'm wondering if I'm mistaken in taking the last object distance to be negative. However I only have one more try to get this right so I really want to make sure I'm approaching it from the right angle. I thought the last image distance would be negative because it is distance behind the converging lens, and we are told in the question that distances to the left of the lens (in front) are positive. I really appreciate any help or pointers anyone can give. Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
nevermind I got it! Had to take the last obj. dist. as positive :-)

physstudent189 said:
Homework Statement:: The figure below shows a thin converging lens for which the radii are R1 = 8.48 cm and R2 = -11.4 cm. The lens is in front of a concave spherical mirror of radius R = 6.07 cm. If its focal points F1 and F2 are 4.58 cm from the vertex of the lens: b) If the lens and mirror are 20.3 cm apart and an object is placed 8.00 cm to the left of the lens, determine the position of the final image relative to the lens (Positive values are to the left).
Hi. There are a number of problems with the question.

The refractive index of the lens is missing. This makes it impossible to find the focal length of the lens.

A concave spherical mirror has only 1 focal point, so saying
“If its focal points F1 and F2 are 4.58 cm from the vertex of the lens”
makes no sense.

The question is incomplete. It looks like part a) has been omitted. It is often useful or necessary to see the whole question.

In your answer to b) ① you appear to be using the wrong value (4.58cm) for the focal length of the lens.

Edit. I'd already answered before I saw your post #2 saying you have solved the problem. But I would be very interested to know the resolution of the problems listed above!

Likes hutchphd

1. What is a combination of thin lens and concave mirror?

A combination of thin lens and concave mirror is a setup where a thin lens and a concave mirror are placed in close proximity to each other. This setup is used to manipulate light rays and produce images that are magnified, inverted, or a combination of both.

2. How does a combination of thin lens and concave mirror work?

In this setup, the thin lens refracts light rays and the concave mirror reflects them. The combination of these two actions results in the formation of an image. The position and characteristics of the image depend on the relative placement and properties of the lens and mirror.

3. What are the applications of a combination of thin lens and concave mirror?

This setup is commonly used in optical instruments such as telescopes, microscopes, and projectors. It is also used in ophthalmic lenses to correct vision problems. Additionally, this setup is used in laser technology to manipulate and focus laser beams.

4. What are the advantages of using a combination of thin lens and concave mirror?

The combination of thin lens and concave mirror allows for a greater degree of control over the light rays compared to using either component individually. This setup also allows for the production of larger and clearer images, making it useful in various optical applications.

5. Are there any limitations to using a combination of thin lens and concave mirror?

One limitation of this setup is that it can only produce images that are either magnified or inverted, but not both at the same time. Additionally, the quality of the image may be affected by factors such as the curvature and imperfections of the lens and mirror surfaces.