Comet 46P/Wirtanen Visible to Naked Eye Dec 16

• Stargazing
  • Thread starter jim mcnamara
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Comet
In summary, on December 16, the comet 46P/Wirtanen will be the closest to Earth in its orbit and should be visible to the naked eye. This comet has a large coma but low overall surface brightness, making it a challenging object to observe and image. Despite some technical difficulties, Dave was able to capture images of the comet and the Large Magellanic Cloud.
Astronomy news on Phys.org
jim mcnamara said:
On Dec 16 it will be the closest to Earth in its orbit, should be visible to the naked eye.
https://ksby.com/news/2018/12/09/brightest-comet-of-2018-to-pass-the-closest-to-earth-in-december
Hi Jim ... several days ago I posted in the "our beautiful Universe thread, photo and star maps for the comet :smile:

davenn said:
Went out last nite, 7th Dec, for the first serious observing/imaging session for a long time.

Was very disappointed, when I got to site after a long drive, that I discovered that I had grabbed the wrong scope mount drive controller.
The controllers are the same except one has a 8 pin RJ connector and the other has a 6 pin RJ connector
The scope mount I took has the 6 pin and the controller I took has the 8 pin :frown: :rolleyes:

As a result I had no tracking ability for my imaging
I had to keep exposures short but at the focal lengths being used, there is still some trailing.

Did some serious pushing of ISO settings to compensate a bit for the short exposures

Comet 46P/Wirtanen ... a comet with a large coma ( gas/dust halo) the size of a full moon, but the overall surface brightness is
reasonably low
10sec @ f2.8, ISO 6400, 200mm focal length ( 70 - 200mm zoom) on a Canon 6D

View attachment 235378Large Magellanic Cloud

5sec @ f2.8, ISO 25600, 200mm focal length ( 70 - 200mm zoom) on a Canon 6D

View attachment 235379
cheers
Dave
you may have missed itcheers
Dave

Likes jim mcnamara, Borg and russ_watters
Clearly I did miss it. Thanks for the update.

Likes davenn

1. What is Comet 46P/Wirtanen?

Comet 46P/Wirtanen is a small comet that orbits around the Sun and was first discovered in 1948 by American astronomer Carl Wirtanen. It is part of the Jupiter family of comets and has a period of about 5.4 years.

2. Why is Comet 46P/Wirtanen visible to the naked eye on December 16?

Comet 46P/Wirtanen will make its closest approach to Earth on December 16, 2018, at a distance of about 7.2 million miles. This will make it appear brighter and larger than usual, making it visible to the naked eye.

3. How can I see Comet 46P/Wirtanen?

To see Comet 46P/Wirtanen, you can go outside on the night of December 16 and look towards the eastern sky. It will appear as a faint, fuzzy object and may be difficult to spot if you live in a light-polluted area. Using binoculars or a telescope can also help in viewing the comet.

4. Is Comet 46P/Wirtanen dangerous?

No, Comet 46P/Wirtanen is not dangerous. It will pass by Earth at a safe distance and poses no threat to our planet.

5. Will Comet 46P/Wirtanen be visible again in the future?

Yes, Comet 46P/Wirtanen will make another close approach to Earth in the year 2025. However, it may not be as bright and visible as it will be on December 16, 2018. It will continue to orbit the Sun and make periodic visits to our part of the solar system in the future.