Communicate with your subconscious mind ?

• Thread starter loikan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mind
In summary, the conversation touches on the topic of communicating with the subconscious mind, which is also referred to as the "toddler within" or the non-conscious mental processes. It is debated whether the subconscious mind truly exists or if it is just a biological machine. Denial is also mentioned as a way our minds protect us from things that may not make us happy or that we are not consciously aware of. The conversation also mentions studies that prove our subconscious mind can have a different perspective than our conscious mind.
rcritchett said:
I think you could be right. Once you step into your brain, through awareness, incantations, meditation, or reconditioning, it can be a bit strange because it is new and can make people feel uncomfortable and because human beings innately move towards gaining and maintaining pleasure and comfort, they may not change the conditioning. (fear of deconstructing programming)
Sometimes they also innately move toward suffering and self-deprivation because they are subconsciously programmed to think these will automatically bring rewards. This could be as irrational as avoiding asking for something they want because they subconsciously feel that asking will sabotage their chances of getting what they want. I notice this in children a lot. They just subconsciously come to associate asking with "no," so they subconsciously think if they don't ask they won't get "no." If they thought about it consciously, they probably wouldn't reason that it is better not to ask - unless later in life they manage to develop an explicit superstition that matches the subconscious behavior, which I think also happens a lot.

Also, I want to point out that I believe human beings are consciously aware of their own conditioning to an extent, even that it needs to change, and in some cases how to do it, it just never is held in their awareness long enough to and there are many different reasons for that. Fear, Security, Comfort, Inbound Information Filters, definitely avoidance and as a result of those feelings that come to the surface within seconds, the person moves away from it quickly, to forget the thought, and not even think of changing tendency. Great reply brainstorm
Thanks & right back at you :) Also, I believe the fear, security, comfort, etc. is often based on subconscious (implicit) associations they hold, which prevent them from even thinking in terms that would liberate them to engage in more conscious rational decision-making. I guess this is how psychotherapy works so well; i.e. by bringing people's subconscious fears to light so they can consciously reflect on whether they really think it makes sense to fear what they do in the way they do. Then they can start to build up a track record of positive experiences with situations where they overcome that fear, which deconstructs the subconscious associations that caused it. I'm not a professional psychotherapist though, so I should probably be careful with talking about therapeutic processes except theoretically.

Physics news on Phys.org
wuliheron said:
Ancient Chinese saying, "Don't listen to what people say, watch what they do."

There have been studies of what is sometimes referred to as the zombie aspect of our personalities. For example, when asked to estimate how steep a hill is, people are often wildly inaccurate. However, ask them to show you with their hand and their accuracy goes way up. Such studies demonstrate clearly that our so-called subconscious mind tends to appraise the situation quite differently from that of our conscious mind.

Edited - off topic

And how often do we regret not paying attention to that persistent gnawing feeling that our decisions are wrong. More often than not they are wrong and we should have listened to the feelings generated by the accurate evaluation of our subconscious mind. But hoist on our own petards we plow ahead anyway into such things as disastrous marriages only to bitterly regret it when too late.