Comoving redshift and area of sphere

In summary: DL = (L/4πF)1/2, we get DL = (Dl/4πF)1/2. Now, we can use the formula for angular diameter distance DA = aDco to relate the luminosity distance to the angular diameter distance. So, we get DA = aDL. From here, we can solve for DL and substitute it back into the formula for F to get F = L/4πa^2Dco^2. This means that the fraction of photons that impinge on our telescope is 1/a^2, or 1/(1+z)^2. In summary, we can use standard candles to measure
bowlbase

Homework Statement

Standard candles may be used to measure the "luminosity distance", using DL =
(L/4F)1/2, where L is the source's intrinsic luminosity, and F is the observed
flux. Inthis problem you will relate the luminosity distance to the previously discussed angular
diameter distance DA. Consider a source at redshift z, which emits light isotropically. In its rest frame, suppose it emits a pulse of total energy Ee over a short time interval Δte. Suppose that today, at z = 0, we have a telescope with collecting area ΔA. For simplicity, assume that the universe is spatially at, with ##\Omega##curv = 0, so that the angular diameter distance is related to the comoving distance by DA = aDco.

The pulse of light isotropically emitted at redshift z is now, at z = 0, spread out
over the surface of a sphere. Assuming that this source is at comoving distance
Dco from us, what is the comoving area of that sphere today? What is the
proper physical area of that sphere today
? Assuming that there is no intervening
absorption or scattering, what fraction of the photons emitted by the source
impinge on our telescope with collecting area ΔA? Express your answer in terms
of Dco.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think that I need to do an integral somewhere with z going from z to 0. However, at first I just thought that the the surface area (SA) would just be ##4\pi(\frac{aD_{co}}{2})^2## but Dco is just suppose to be the distance from me, the observer, to the source of the emitted energy.

Anyway, I know that SA=##4 \pi r^2##. I just need to find 'r' from z → 0. I know that ##D_{co}=\int\frac{c dt}{a(t)}##. a has a time dependence so I can't just replace it with a-1=1+z. If I do I just get ##\int_z^0c(1+z)dt##. Which would be ##-cz(1+z)##
I don't believe a negative distance would properly describe this situation.

Also, the second question I bolded has me confused. Isn't comoving distances suppose to describe how things actually are? How are the two bolded questions different at all?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello! Thank you for your post. I will try my best to help you with this problem.

Firstly, you are correct in thinking that an integral is needed to find the surface area of the sphere. However, the integral should go from z (the source's redshift) to infinity, not to 0. This is because we want to find the comoving distance of the source, which is the distance it would be if there was no expansion of the universe. At z = infinity, the source would be at its maximum comoving distance.

To find the comoving distance Dco, we can use the formula you provided: ##D_{co}=\int\frac{c dt}{a(t)}##. However, since we are assuming a flat universe, we can simplify this to ##D_{co}=\frac{c}{H_0}\int_z^{\infty}\frac{dz'}{E(z')}##, where E(z) = (Ωm(1+z)^3 + ΩΛ)^1/2 is the expansion parameter and H0 is the Hubble constant.

Now, to find the surface area of the sphere, we can use the formula SA = ##4 \pi r^2##, where r is the comoving distance. So, the surface area at z = infinity would be ##4 \pi D_{co}^2##. However, we are interested in the surface area at z = 0, so we need to take into account the expansion of the universe. This can be done by using the scale factor a(t) = (1+z)^-1. So, the surface area at z = 0 would be ##4 \pi a^2(t)D_{co}^2##.

For the second question, the comoving distance Dco is indeed the distance from the observer to the source. However, the physical area is the actual size of the sphere in physical units (e.g. meters). So, the proper physical area would be ##4 \pi D_{co}^2##.

Finally, to find the fraction of photons that impinge on our telescope, we can use the formula F = L/4πDl^2, where L is the source's intrinsic luminosity and Dl is the luminosity distance. We can rearrange this to get Dl = (L/4πF)1/2. Sub

1. What is a comoving redshift?

A comoving redshift is a measure of how much the wavelength of light from a distant object has been stretched due to the expansion of the universe. It is often expressed as a dimensionless quantity, denoted by z, and is related to the observed redshift by a correction for the expansion of the universe.

2. How is comoving redshift related to the area of a sphere?

The comoving redshift is related to the area of a sphere through the equation z = r/R, where r is the comoving distance to the object and R is the radius of the sphere. This means that the comoving redshift increases as the area of the sphere increases, reflecting the expansion of the universe.

3. Why is it important to consider comoving redshift when studying distant objects?

Comoving redshift is important because it allows us to correct for the expansion of the universe when studying distant objects. Without this correction, it would be difficult to accurately measure the distances and velocities of these objects, as the redshift caused by the expansion can skew our observations.

4. How does the comoving redshift change over time?

The comoving redshift increases over time as the universe expands. This means that objects that are farther away from us will have a higher comoving redshift than objects that are closer. It is a useful tool for measuring the distance to objects that are extremely far away from us, such as galaxies in the early universe.

5. Is the comoving redshift the same for all objects in the universe?

No, the comoving redshift can vary for different objects in the universe. This is because the expansion of the universe affects objects differently depending on their distance and relative motion. Additionally, the comoving redshift can also be influenced by other factors, such as the gravitational pull of nearby objects.