Is My Comparator Circuit Textbook Explanation Incorrect?

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework assignment involving a circuit from the textbook. The student is unsure of the circuit and believes there is an error in the textbook. They explain their understanding of the circuit and ask for confirmation. A response confirms that the textbook is indeed wrong and explains the correct functioning of the circuit.
Jimmy87

Homework Statement

We have to answer questions from a particular circuit (comparator) in our textbook for homework. The circuit is attached to this thread. I haven't started the questions yet as I don't even understand the circuit! Based on my notes I think my textbook is wrong and would appreciate it if someone could glance at the attachment and confirm or deny the case.

Homework Equations

Open loop gain = A (V+ - V-) where V+ is the non-inverting input, V- is the inverting input of the op-amp and A is the amplification factor.

The Attempt at a Solution

Where it says next to the diagram "suppose we want the reference voltage to be 4V. This would mean that the LED would light when the input voltage is equal to or greater than 4V". This is what I think is wrong:

This means V+ (non-inverting input) is fixed at 4V. If Vin (which is V-) is equal to or greater than this then according to the open loop gain equation, the output voltage would be negative. This means that the anode of the diode is negative which means no current will flow. From my class notes it says the anode must be positive for a diode to light.

So either my class notes are wrong or the textbook is wrong? Huge thanks to anyone that can help me with this!

Attachments

• Comparator Circuit.png
    Comparator Circuit.png
    14.1 KB · Views: 501
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct and the book is wrong. The comparator output goes high when the + input is higher than the - input. Or said differently, the output is high when the - input is below the + input.

Likes 1 person
Phew! Thought I was missing something. Thank you berkeman!

1. What is a comparator circuit?

A comparator circuit is an electronic circuit that compares two input voltages and outputs a digital signal based on the comparison. It is used in applications where a decision needs to be made based on the magnitude of the input voltages, such as in analog-to-digital converters.

2. How does a comparator circuit work?

A comparator circuit typically consists of an operational amplifier and a feedback network. The two input voltages are fed into the operational amplifier, which amplifies the difference between them. The output of the amplifier is then compared to a reference voltage, and the output of the circuit changes based on this comparison.

3. What are the different types of comparator circuits?

There are two main types of comparator circuits: inverting and non-inverting. In an inverting comparator, the output changes to a low state when the non-inverting input voltage is higher than the inverting input voltage. In a non-inverting comparator, the output changes to a high state when the non-inverting input voltage is higher than the inverting input voltage.

4. What are some common applications of comparator circuits?

Comparator circuits are commonly used in analog-to-digital converters, where they compare an analog signal to a reference voltage and output a digital signal based on the comparison. They are also used in overvoltage protection circuits, window comparators, and pulse-width modulation circuits.

5. How can I design a comparator circuit?

Designing a comparator circuit involves selecting an appropriate operational amplifier, choosing the feedback network, and determining the reference voltage. It is important to consider factors such as input voltage range, input offset voltage, and output voltage swing when designing a comparator circuit. There are also online tools and software available to assist with the design process.