Comparing A & B in Bernoulli Trials w/ X & P

• Thread starter slipperypete
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bernoulli
In summary, the conversation discusses the sets X and P, which contain Bernoulli random variables and their corresponding probabilities. The problem at hand is to determine which of the two sets A or B, with different estimates for p, is closer to the true probability P. It is suggested to use a matched-pairs t test to analyze the difference between the average of A and B. However, due to the limitation of only being able to simulate each event once, it may not be possible to solve the problem.
slipperypete
Let [tex]X[/tex] be the set [tex]X=\left\{x_1,x_2,...,x_n\right\}[/tex], where each [tex]x_i[/tex] is a Bernoulli random variable and [tex]P[/tex] be the set [tex]P=\left\{p_1,p_2,...,p_n\right\}[/tex], where [tex]p_i[/tex] is the probability that [tex]x_i=1[/tex]. Now, suppose there are two other sets, [tex]A=\left\{a_1,a_2,...,a_n\right\}[/tex] and [tex]B=\left\{b_1,b_2,...,b_n\right\}[/tex], where [tex]a_i,b_i[/tex] are two different estimates for [tex]p_i[/tex].

In other words, p is the "true" (unknown) probability that x will occur, and a and b are both attempts to estimate that probability.

I am trying to design an experiment that will determine which set, A or B, is "closer" to P.

If these Bernoulli random variables represented, say, different-sided dice, then an experiment would be pretty straightforward: conduct a Bernoulli process; i.e., repeatedly perform a Bernoulli trial.

However, in my case, each [tex]x_i[/tex] represents a real-world event, and can be simulated only once. A Bernoulli process is impossible, I am limited to a single Bernoulli trial. If [tex]X=\left\{x_1,x_2,x_3\right\}[/tex], then I don't think there would be a practical way to solve this problem at any level of significance. But [tex]n[/tex] here is actually quite large, so I feel like there should be some test which would allow me to show [tex]A>B[/tex] or [tex]A<B[/tex] or [tex]A\neq B[/tex] or [tex]A=B[/tex].

Any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can apply a matched-pairs t test to the difference between average(A) and average(B).

Related to Comparing A & B in Bernoulli Trials w/ X & P

1. What are Bernoulli trials?

Bernoulli trials are a type of statistical experiment in which the outcome can be classified as either a success or a failure. These trials are named after the Swiss mathematician Jacob Bernoulli, who first introduced the concept in the 17th century.

2. How do you compare A and B in Bernoulli trials?

To compare A and B in Bernoulli trials, you would first need to define what A and B represent. A and B could represent different outcomes, probabilities, or variables in the trials. Once you have defined A and B, you can compare them by analyzing their respective probabilities and outcomes.

3. What is the role of X in Bernoulli trials?

X is typically used to represent the number of successes in a series of Bernoulli trials. It is a random variable that can take on different values depending on the outcomes of the trials. X is used to calculate the probability of a certain number of successes occurring in a given number of trials.

4. How is P calculated in Bernoulli trials?

P is the probability of success in a single Bernoulli trial. It can be calculated by dividing the number of successes by the total number of trials. For example, if there were 10 trials and 3 of them were successes, P would be calculated as 3/10 or 0.3.

5. How are Bernoulli trials used in real-life applications?

Bernoulli trials are used in a variety of real-life applications, such as market research, quality control, and medical studies. They can also be used to model and analyze random events, such as coin flips, where the outcome can be classified as either a success or a failure.