CPU bottleneck by Radeon HD 5xxx series GPU's?

• Thread starter The_Absolute
  • Start date
  • Tags
    cpu Series
In summary, the Radeon HD 5000 series graphics cards, specifically the HD 5950 and 5970 dual-core models, are being bottlenecked by today's fastest processors, including the Core i7 975. The HD 5970 has even more throughput than the quad crossfireX setup of two HD 4870s, but requires a quad-core processor clocked at 4.0 GHz with water cooling to remove the bottleneck caused by the four GPUs. It is possible to check for a bottleneck using a program like Passmark, and it is suspected that the bottleneck in this case is due to the HD 4850 running on a PCIe 16x 1.0 slot instead of a 2.0 slot
The_Absolute
I've read that the Radeon HD 5000 series graphics cards, especially the HD 5950, and 5970 dual-core ones, are being bottlenecked by even today's fastest available processors. Including the Core i7 975.

A single Radeon HD 5970 (Two HD 5870 cores) has even more throughput than Two Radeon HD 4870's quad crossfireX. Which required a quad-core processor to be a clocked past 4.0 GHz with water cooling to completely remove the bottleneck posed by the Four GPU's.

Is there any way of telling if you have a bottleneck? Is there any program I can run to tell me so? I'd imagine my bottleneck is caused by my HD 4850 running on a PCIe 16x 1.0 slot, instead of a 2.0 slot. I can't buy a new motherboard without having to buy new RAM, and possibly a CPU due to bus speed and chipset compatibility issues.

Is my Core 2 Quad Q9400 2.66GHz running at it's stock 2.66 GHz enough for my single Radeon HD 4850? My BIOS forbids overclocking of any kind.

I don't have the money to do that at the moment.

Computer science news on Phys.org

I cannot provide specific recommendations for your individual setup without further information. However, I can offer some general insights on the topic of CPU bottlenecks and Radeon HD 5xxx series GPUs.

Firstly, it is important to understand that bottlenecks can occur in any system, and are not limited to just the CPU and GPU. Other components such as RAM, storage, and even the software being used can also contribute to bottlenecks. So it is important to consider the overall system when determining potential bottlenecks.

In terms of the Radeon HD 5xxx series GPUs, it is true that they have a high level of throughput and can potentially be bottlenecked by slower CPUs. This is because these GPUs are designed to handle large amounts of data and calculations, and if the CPU cannot keep up with feeding it data, then a bottleneck can occur.

One way to determine if you have a bottleneck is to monitor the performance of your system while running demanding tasks or games. You can use programs like MSI Afterburner or HWMonitor to track CPU and GPU usage, as well as temperatures and clock speeds. If you notice that your CPU is consistently at 100% usage while your GPU is not, then it is likely that your CPU is the bottleneck.

In your specific case, it is possible that your Core 2 Quad Q9400 is not able to fully utilize the capabilities of your Radeon HD 4850. However, it is difficult to say without knowing the specific tasks and software you are using. Additionally, the PCIe slot version can also play a role in performance, but it is not the only factor.

In conclusion, while it is possible that your CPU may be a bottleneck for your Radeon HD 5xxx series GPU, it is important to consider the overall system and monitor performance to accurately determine the cause of any bottlenecks. Upgrading individual components may not always be the solution, as it is important to ensure compatibility and balance within the system.

1. What is a CPU bottleneck?

A CPU bottleneck occurs when the performance of a computer's CPU (central processing unit) is significantly limited by the performance of another component, such as a graphics card. In this case, the CPU is unable to keep up with the demands of the graphics card, resulting in reduced overall performance.

2. How do I know if my Radeon HD 5xxx series GPU is causing a CPU bottleneck?

You can use various monitoring tools, such as CPU and GPU usage monitors, to determine if your graphics card is causing a CPU bottleneck. If you notice that your CPU usage is consistently high while your GPU usage is relatively low, it is likely that your GPU is causing a bottleneck.

3. Can a CPU bottleneck be fixed?

In some cases, a CPU bottleneck can be fixed by upgrading to a more powerful CPU. However, this may not always be possible or practical. Other ways to reduce a CPU bottleneck include overclocking the CPU, reducing the graphics settings in games, or upgrading to a more powerful graphics card.

4. Will a CPU bottleneck affect gaming performance?

Yes, a CPU bottleneck can significantly impact gaming performance. It can result in lower frame rates, longer loading times, and overall reduced gameplay experience. It is important to have a balanced system with both a powerful CPU and graphics card for optimal gaming performance.

5. Are all Radeon HD 5xxx series GPUs prone to causing CPU bottlenecks?

No, not all Radeon HD 5xxx series GPUs will cause a CPU bottleneck. The likelihood of a bottleneck depends on various factors, such as the specific model of the GPU, the type of games being played, and the other components in the computer. It is important to research and consider these factors when building or upgrading a computer.