Comparing Die Sinking EDM Performance on Copper, Aluminum, and Steel

In summary, Hamdi's experiment found that copper and stainless steel have different tool wear rates. He is curious about why this is the case.
hamdi husssein
hi all;
actually i have done an experiment using die sinking EDM using one copper electrode and three different work piece material copper aluminum and stainless steel to perform a comparative study in term of MRR, TWR and surface roughness. i used ( pulse current 8, 12, 16, 20 and 24 Am... the pulse off is 7 micro second), so that i expected to have the same result in published papers i have read but i came up with confusing result for example i got unstable tool wear rate and my question is there any justification for this issue. i have attached these figures to have a look and please not that ,2,3 and 4 representing the 13,25,50 and 100 micro second .
Thanks
Hamdi

Attachments

• 8A.png
    8A.png
    4.6 KB · Views: 402
  • 12A.png
    12A.png
    5 KB · Views: 410
  • 16A.png
    16A.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 406
  • 20A.png
    20A.png
    4.1 KB · Views: 401
Engineering news on Phys.org
I would question the measurement accuracy of the tool wear observed.
You show only 4 points but then fit a high amplitude sine curve, assuming exact data.
You could repeat part of your experiment to determine variation, then plot the error bars.
You should check on why your measured results for Al might be sporadic. It could be that the Al has a hard oxide layer that is damaging the die or upsetting the measurement.

hamdi husssein (in a PM) said:
Thanks for replying Sir;
i would like to mention that i used four points like many other published papers i have read.
i am wondering if you do not mind to send you the other graphs for example the relation between the pulse current and the tool wear ratio. sorry for disturbing you as it is the first experiment i did so that i used the same values of pulse duration and pulse current and pulse off time that are used in published paper where the copper is used as electrode and stainless steel was used in that paper as a wrokpeice.
Thanks
I think you should run the same Aluminium test at the same four currents, but repeat all tests three or more times.
That way you will discover how much variation is due to your experimental technique.

1. What is the purpose of comparing die sinking EDM performance on different metals?

The purpose of this study is to determine the effectiveness of die sinking EDM on various metals, specifically copper, aluminum, and steel. By comparing the performance on each metal, we can understand the strengths and limitations of the process and make recommendations for optimal use in industrial applications.

2. What is die sinking EDM and how does it work?

Die sinking EDM, also known as spark erosion or spark machining, is a process used to shape and form metals through the use of electrical discharges. The metal workpiece is submerged in a dielectric fluid and an electrode is used to create a controlled spark that erodes the metal to the desired shape.

3. How do the properties of copper, aluminum, and steel affect die sinking EDM performance?

The properties of each metal, such as melting point, thermal conductivity, and hardness, can greatly influence the performance of die sinking EDM. For example, metals with high thermal conductivity, like copper, may be more difficult to shape due to heat dissipation, while metals with low melting points, like aluminum, may be easier to shape but may also experience greater electrode wear.

4. What factors should be considered when comparing die sinking EDM performance on different metals?

When comparing die sinking EDM performance, factors such as material removal rate, surface roughness, and electrode wear should be considered. Material removal rate refers to the speed at which the metal is being eroded, while surface roughness measures the quality of the surface finish. Electrode wear is also an important factor to consider as it can affect the accuracy and precision of the final product.

5. What are the potential applications of die sinking EDM on copper, aluminum, and steel?

Die sinking EDM can be used for a variety of applications on these metals, including creating intricate shapes and contours, forming molds and dies, and producing prototypes. It is commonly used in industries such as aerospace, automotive, and electronics for its precision and ability to work with hard materials.